Things that automatically put you off...albums

Kind of sequel to this thread: Things that automatically put you off bands

Mine are largely based around pre-release singles:

1. Too many singles before release. I think it should be 2 as an absolute maximum, 1 preferably. Don’t like to feel as if I’ve heard half the album before it’s out (Obvious response to this is that I don’t HAVE to listen to them).

2. Pre release singles that are all bunched around the start of the album. I think a brave choice is to preview songs from across the album, indicating it’s strong from back to front.

3 Likes

Hard to do that if you’re only releasing one though! :wink:

2 Likes

If they say “The National” on the cover.

20 Likes

Mine is having the words “Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds” on the sleeve

4 Likes

Ah damnit

3 Likes

SNAP

3 Likes

Length. Anything over 40 minutes makes me give a bit of a :grimacing: unless it’s a only got about 4 tracks in which case I would presume it’s some sort of slow-burning soundscape sort of thing.

(I also don’t care about length for movie score albums I guess.)

6 Likes

When Spotify only has a ‘deluxe’ or other edition with excess shit lumped on at the end.

9 Likes

‘posthumous’. I know there are one or two good ones but 90% of the time its a cynical cash grab with demos and dreck that the artist never wanted to see the light of day. No thanks.

4 Likes

Few exceptions to the rule but anything over 50 minutes in length.

7 Likes

Hidden tracks which you have to rewind/fast forward to.

Indulgent shite.

4 Likes

Having over 10 tracks
Lasting over an hour

4 Likes

Probably anything over 70 mins

too many dialogue interludes

8 Likes

isn’t this… most albums?

1 Like

Maybe 10 is a bit low… 12?

2 Likes

12 is, I think, the holy grail of ‘number of tracks on an album’. Loads of 9 track albums these days, are you getting your money’s worth? 12 tracks allows for a narrative, ebb and flow, love a good 12 track album.

A double album pretty much automatically puts me off pre-ordering.

2 Likes

a little out-of-time but ‘produced by Jackknife Lee’

3 Likes

This. Skits on hiphop albums especially. Stankonia and 3 Feet High & Rising would be infinitely better without them.

1 Like