Things that automatically put you off...albums

My point was more that it still fits on one disc, so nothing lost + sounds great (the most recent Joyce Manor was produced by Kurt Ballou).

It is possible that this applies more to the less-heavy stuff you’re citing here? I think producers with ‘a sound’ are a double-edged sword, and genre tends to reveal that.

Anything advertised on telly with a load of gushing quotes from Mojo magazine and a voiceover by someone like Zane Lowe.

5 Likes

The artwork is an ugly old polaroid photograph of someone’s knee from the 80s or something. Has this trend died yet?

7 Likes

Deliberately bad artwork in general. Far worse than accidentally bad artwork. You’re not above album covers pal.

4 Likes

LIVE ALBUMS

How has no one said this yet? There are no good live albums.

Also 100% agree on interludes - the radio interludes entirely put me off EVER listening to Songs for the Deaf any more.

5 Likes

He certainly ruined ‘Accelerate’ by REM.

1 Like

Agree with this. I don’t think it is even listed as a ‘Bonus Track’! Scandalous.

1 Like

Ruined Bloc Party as well imo, they had such amazing band interplay on Silent Alarm and it all got bricked over

He also managed to further ruin an already massively ruined Weezer. Think about that.

1 Like

backed hard. Whenever I look at the tracklist I wonder why I listen to it so rarely, but then I put it on and remember.

The only good interludes, ever, are on Fugees’ The Score

3 Likes

let that sink in

I think that’s letting Bloc Party off the hook for only having one good album in them tbf

1 Like

When the ID3 tags have the featured artist in the artist field rather than a ‘feat …’ in the track name

11 Likes

yeah it bothers me when the pre-release single is the first track for some reason, feels like a spoiler somehow

first track should never be a single imo

3 Likes

I mean there’s a few factors undoubtedly - I get the impression that Kele was overbearing once they got successful and a couple of the other members just got fed up of it in the end.
But that four-piece had more great music in them, they had to have.

1 Like

Blue Record is also fantastic. With a lot of the more recent Congleton produced albums I haven’t really liked (Angel Olsen, Sharon van Etten, Baroness amongst others) the production isn’t my biggest issue with any of them. He produced The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, so he can have a pass form me pretty much forever.

Used to think this, and tried to talk the TV out of buying this:
https://www.discogs.com/Simon-Garfunkel-The-Concert-In-Central-Park/release/1436524

Really glad I didn’t as it’s fantastic.

5 Likes

I didn’t realise that was him too. That one is far better tbf, but obviously going for a different ‘thing’.

but yeah, I would love for Baroness to go back to Congleton. Gold & Grey is just exhausting to slog through.

I think we are making the same point in different ways.
Basically if it fits and sounds good on 1LP theres no need to stretch it over 2.

1 Like

because live albums are frequently good

3 Likes

Agreed