Things that could theoretically be true but in practice never, never are

There’s a meeting or presentation just before lunch, and someone responds to the presenter asking if there are any questions with “not really a question, more of a comment”. Theoretically this person could be about to make a comment that really adds to the meeting in a very helpful way, but in practice they always, always were only looking for an excuse to hear their own voice.

• Correct, good example
  • I disagree
  • What?

0 voters

The people in your online RPG group are talking about how the books they read in school - Melville, Dostoyevsky - were all crap. Theoretically they could be making a very reasonable point about how male writers are massively overrepresented in the canon of Western literature.

• Correct, what they actually mean is there weren’t enough buxom half-elf sorceresses in The Idiot for their liking
  • No it’s entirely possible that an informed, nuanced discussion about literature was occurring between Lord Dragonnn and Jeffery Epstein in the general chat of an MMO
  • seriously, what?

0 voters

I at least have the decency to go to the effort of pretending my comment is a question.

4 Likes

These people need stringing up

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is this a private school thing?

3 Likes

Dunno, you’d need to ask Lord Dragonn, that was his example. Although he did say he was from Russia.

1 Like

Fair

1 Like

The disparity between example 1 and example 2 is what I think the football people mean when they talk about “doing an Arsenal”

A football metaphor being helpful

• Theoretically possible but in practice never, ever is
  • That’s offside mate
  • W H A T

0 voters

A day away from work at a training course.

• Come on, you’ll learn something new that will help you improve your professional skills
  • Hahaha it’s just a day out of the office m8s

0 voters

I’d also just like to put it on the record that the worst group of people for doing this are male octogenarian architects. Be warned that if you ever go to a public lecture or talk on architecture / planning / urban design or anything in that ballpark, there will be at least one and he will not be stopped once he starts.

Noted

This winds me up so much at Q&A sessions after a performance or talk especially when it’s the last one and it’s been explicitly stated “we’ve just got time for a really quick question…”

“Well I think I absolutely know it all and I’m going to use lots of big words and tell you a totally pointless and overly long tale that none of the panel can in anyway respond to…”

3 Likes

Had somebody do that at every single session of a big patent twat conference. 300 people in the room but they had a comment on every. single. thing.

Looked them up afterwards and they worked for Big Tobacco, because of course they did.

3 Likes