Things that fully irk you

I’m in a design team. We take any and all jobs, no problem. There are other design departments in this company as well as ours, with slghtly different areas of expertise. I’ve no idea what the other lot are like though.

Though we do get huffy when people try to do stuff themselves because they often get things wrong, have no knowledge of branding guidelines and generally end up with a crappy finished product which people will then assume we did.

1 Like

The postman keeps delivering our mail to the flats above (we’re the basement and have a separate door to everyone else) even though I’ve alerted Royal Mail to this twice. The people upstairs have decided it is too taxing for them to bring us our mail downstairs even though we purposely get everything sent to Flat 1 (basement) as if it’s our fault or such a disservice to them. Even a pile of birthday cards for my partner, some of which contained cash/cheques, they didn’t bring down at all, and we left it a week just to see. Knobheads, the lot of em.

3 Likes

People occasionally phone my work instead of an unrelated but similarly-named business a mile away, and then moan when I don’t have their phone number immediately to hand.

Slightly irked reading that post.
I’ve lived in a building with a similar situation, although we were in the main building and there was frequently mail for the two flats below (accessed via a different door) posted through the main door. I don’t see why the onus should be on the other occupants to redeliver your mail, it’s on you imho. In our case the occupants to the other flats had a key to the main building so would just pop up and collect it themselves, especially if it’s a steady stream of post coming regularly. Do you have a key to the main door?
If I was you i’d just put a note on the door so the postie knows to post flat 1 mail to your door.

if it’s posted through your actual flat door and you just leave it you’re a bit of a dick

if it’s posted through a main door that all residents have access to then it’s reasonable to expect the intended recipient to come and pick it up, and toe royal mail in the baws till they fix it

2 Likes

Oh have I misread the post? Agreed, if it’s your own door then yeah you’d hopefully take it round. I thought it was a communal door

1 Like
  • No we do not have a key to the main door above, although we have asked our landlord for one.
  • The onus being on me is a reasonable(ish) thing if we are expecting post (such as birthday cards) but this is not always the case, is it?
1 Like

This happens with us, we live in the top floor flat, but we get stuff through our door for the basement flat which has a separate entrance downstairs. Obviously we’re nice and pop it down whenever I spot any, but it is hard resisting the temptation to just fling it down the stairs…

Think I’ve told this story on DiS before - back when the original shake up of Royal Mail saw longtime posties replaced by agency staff, I was living in Brixton at number 21 Trent Road. We started getting post for every number 21 of about 12 or 15 surrounding streets - just an absolute cascade of post every day. Don’t know if the postie didn’t understand what was going on, or was literally just deliberately dumping his sack (arf) as quickly as possible as we were only a couple of hundred metres from the sorting office. I phoned the sorting office to complain, but this went on sporadically for a couple of months. As an aside, they did issue me some compensation in the form of a book of stamps so that was nice I guess. Anyway, to deal with the mountain of post we were receiving, I used to get up on a Saturday morning, stick it in my bag and go deliver it to the surrounding streets. Not actually a bad way to spend half an hour on a Saturday, bit of a busman’s holiday. If there was ever anyone in to tell, I would explain what had happened and why I had their post and encourage them to complain so it would get sorted out. They were invariably grateful that I had made the effort to get their post to them. Until one Saturday, I was doing my weekly ‘round’ and met a chap doing his gardening outside one of my fellow number 21 houses. I handed over his post and cheerily explained what had happened.

Him: [red faced] This is a joke, I’ve been waiting ages for something. :rage:
Me: I know m9, it’s ridiculous. Make sure you phone up to complain so they can get it fixed.
Him: [still red faced] This! This letter! I need this urgently. :rage::rage:
Me: Yeah, I know, it’s really annoying. Anyway, good luck.
Him: [ever more red faced] Well, what are you going to do about it?!? :rage::rage::rage:
Me: Err. You need to phone up and complain. I’ve tried a few times but it doesn’t seem to be making a difference.
Him: [full gammon by this point] I pay for a service!!! What are you going to do about it??? :rage::rage::rage::rage:
Me: [now also getting red faced] Look mate, I’m not your postman. I’m doing you a favour by making sure you get this.
Him: [Launches into a full on four letter word tirade against me personally] :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:
Me: Ok. How about fuck off then.

Chucked all of his post in the bin after that. Annoyingly, still feel bad about it a bit…

47 Likes

Do not feel bad about it. The guy’s a prize chopper.

12 Likes

The film A Quiet Place.

1 Like

yeah, fuck that guy.

1 Like

This story… delivers… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Above and beyond. If have just slung it through a door at the sorting office.

Solicitors are a bunch of incompetent cunts part 3721:

She’s finally sent the contract pack through for the house we’re buying… She’s got my name completely fucking wrong - not even spelled (spelt?) wrong. Just names that aren’t even mine. Still, that’s what we pay good money for…

4 Likes

Who the HELL is Ruralmonkey?!?

14 Likes

When people write amounts of money as amount£ instead of £amount.

7 Likes

Similarly, people, especially Americans obviously, writing the date as Month Day Year. How does that make sense?

1 Like

I would like this to be standardised worldwide, at the very least the Euro should have it.

“Placement of the sign also varies. Partly since there are no official standards on placement, countries have generated varying conventions or sustained those of their former currencies. For example, in Ireland and the Netherlands, where previous currency signs (£ and ƒ, respectively) were placed before the figure, the euro sign is universally placed in the same position. In many other countries, including France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Latvia and Lithuania, an amount such as €3.50 is usually written as 3,50 € instead, largely in accordance with conventions for previous currencies.”

While it’s not standardised, however, I will not get irked by it when an individual places it before / after as that would be a bit Brexity.

I’ve always said the Lithuanians are a great bunch of lads.