Things that have got a lot better without really being recognised

Watching the Tour de France and the stability of the camera feed from the motorbikes is about 1000% better than the old days. Also applies to live footage of the London marathon.

Presumably some other things have improved in the last 2 decades too. Tell me what they are.

Changing phones or providers

11 Likes

Mobile phone contracts in general actually. Remember when a text cost 10p? A right rip off.

6 Likes

Cheap to mid-range guitars

3 Likes

relatively widespread uptake of double-glazing

1 Like

The standard of goalkeeping in football

1 Like

(it has though yeah)

12 Likes

Home recording capabilities. It’s actually ridiculous how much better hobbyist-level stuff is compared to 20 years ago. It’s better than cheap actual studio time from then.

5 Likes

Supermarket availability of vegetarian and vegan food

8 Likes

Freezers. They don’t really ice up like they used to IMHO.

2 Likes

Mine does. Fucking Lamona shite.

2 Likes

Heaters in cars for clearing your windscreen. They’re well good now.

A lot of people say stuff like, “They don’t make them like they used to,” as if the build quality on things has got worse, but when you look at things like cars, or appliances, or houses, they’re so much more durable and last a lot longer than they used to.

Also, the quality of sound/light shows at festivals and large gigs. In the space of the ten years, from about 2002 to 2012, there was a huge step up in what was expected and provided.

1 Like

eurovision

3 Likes

Computer game animations of characters walking up stairs

8 Likes

Music videos for mid-low level bands. It’s amazing what they can do now with access to semi decent affordable tech.

1 Like

Probably down to the introduction of LED lighting - much cheaper, more powerful and more controlable than old style stage lighting

1 Like

Mine de ices itself somehow - which is great but the ice cubes shrink too

1 Like

The choice of drinks in pubs/bars. Maybe it was just the pubs or bars I went to in the 90’s but it was usually just bad lager on tap, standard spirits (JD, smirnoff, Gordon’s gin, lambs rum, malibu, archers) a fridge full of alcopops. Now you are usually well served for craft beer, ciders, non alcoholic drinks and spirits, craft spirits, nice mixers.

8 Likes

People’s attitude to disco

7 Likes