Things that have got a lot better without really being recognised

Self checkout machines (at some shops anyway, still got the infuriating ones in my local Lidl)

1 Like

The first pub I ever worked in (The Woodside, Ellenbrook) in around 2002 only served Carlsberg, Boddingtonā€™s, or Guinness on tap! Can you imagine.

1 Like

Used one of the new self service tills in Tesco recently (the ones without scales) and my god it was actuallyā€¦ pleasant? Really well designed interface, as much as it pains me to say.

3 Likes

The sound production on KEXP sessions

1 Like

Standard of medical care when youā€™re pregnant.

Scans werenā€™t a thing when my mum was born, just you were pregnant, had a midwife then 9 months later there was a baby

When my mum had me, she had one scan which resulted in the blurriest photo of all time, no extra checks for anything, if you were bigger or smaller at regular checkups they justā€¦ Moved your due date? Lol

Now Iā€™m being seen pretty much every week for the smallest issues ever, the pictures on the scans are insanely clear and I even have several 3d photos of the babyā€™s face. Iā€™m not even 30 weeks! Astonishing.

10 Likes

Phones having one (well, two now) type(s) of charger (other than iPhones, pieces of shit).

1 Like

I was so impressed that I actually gave them full marks on the ā€˜how was your experience with this till thingieā€™ screen that came up after, ffs

1 Like

Gluten and dairy free food

15 years ago my local supermarket had one variety of tiny hard loaves of sliced bread, like eating polystyrene, and that was about it. Dairy free meant soy milk and nothing else. Now i keep getting ads for artisan gluten free sourdough, my local supermarket stocks dozens of different milk alternatives and Iā€™ve not tried it but Iā€™m told some of the cheese is at least edible.

Some people say that a lot of people who buy gluten free donā€™t actually need it and are doing it out of a mistaken idea that gluten free is ā€˜healthierā€™. I say if thatā€™s the case, if it makes the market for gluten free foods big enough that companies want to actually make decent products, then let them have at it.

4 Likes

omg same!

1 Like

This is mostly true, however the choices these days are largely 20 slightly different gins and 6 IPAs on tap and 12 in the fridge.

1 Like

My freezer begs to differ

1 Like

Might be bad at defrosting but pretty impressive that it can talk tbf

4 Likes