Things that you have noticed

I’ve noticed that native German speakers often have difficulty correctly using words like “since”, “until” and “meanwhile” in English sentences and it’s made me wonder if there are grammatical reasons in German that make this the case.

Obvious caveat that I’m not criticising them as such because their English is infinitely better than my German etc.

Fuck off, twat!

3 Likes

First the Churchill thread and now this.

1 Like

Coincidence . I’ve been talking to a lot of native German speakers recently.

Finding it difficult to read all these replies and not hear Bob Mortimer’s working men’s club comedian voice.

All the replies are dead now. Breaks your heart, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Many moons ago I was seeing a woman who was studying English English at Heidelberg. After a few months, her teacher turned to her one day, wondering why she suddenly had a particularly southern accent, It made me chuckle, but also feel bad, that I’d been instrumental in damaging her previously extra posh accent. Anyway, I think they had an American English department too, but it wasn’t that popular.

1 Like

:eyes:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Spanish people will mostly refer to a good time they had with friends at a specific time as ‘a lot of party’.

like, ‘I spent time with my friends and there was a lot of party’.

pretty sure I spend half my time trying to correct this as a teacher.

8 Likes

Some people don’t like to board via the rear of the plane if it means walking across the apron without anyone else there. Instead they use the door at the front of the plane and try to squeeze down the isle to the back.

1 Like

I noticed a trashed car on my way to work this morning about 2 minutes from my flat. It looked like a digger had crushed in and then someone had set fire to it.

:thinking:

Irish people say “I am after…” instead of 'I have done… "

Its very confusing for my ears when peiple say something like “I am after having a cup of tea” and they mean I have just had a cup of tea, rather than I would like a cup of tea.

1 Like

Welsh people also do weird things with time and space when talking English.

“I’ll be there now in a minute”, “Where by are you too?”

2 Likes

I had a boyfriend from Heidelberg and he detested picking up my accent when he spoke.

1 Like

I noticed 2 of my colleagues staring at me from across the room and smiling/laughing and I think it was because my mouth was open like a gormless idiot, or i’m just fitasfuckmate

Are these Welsh and Irish examples because of the influence of the native languages do you think? I never learned enough Welsh to check it out.

I did GCSE Welsh and can confidently say I have no idea.

3 Likes

As a Devonian, I often use ‘where’s it/that to?’ instead of ‘where is it/that?’. My wife thinks this is ridiculous and not a real phrase.
‘Where’s it to?’

• Perfectly valid phrase, nice to hear some local colloquialisms still exist
  • What are you even on about you weird tractor driving hick

0 voters

1 Like

where’s it is valid.

where’s that to - i’d be thinking you’re asking me where something leads to.

I like that, I’m literally post cup of tea. it’s similar to doing stuff “just now” meaning only in the present, rather than having done something in a time that used to be, or is imminently no longer now.