Things that you have noticed

Yeah e’s a general Westcountry thing innum.

1 Like

“Can you pass the remote?”
“Where’s it to?”
Makes perfect sense.

don’t think there are any weird phrases from where I live sadly

not sure it’s specific to here but some people will say Mondee and Tuesdee instead of Monday and Tuesday for example and I really hate it, like they’re trying way too hard.

seems to apply to all days except for Saturday for some reason, never heard anyone say Saturdee

Used to be fascinated by my Scottish flatmate who came back from the supermarket and said she’d bought “hundreds of foods”.

3 Likes

Gf’s mum is from Wellingborough and says all sorts of bizarre things. That might just be her though.

Notice myself saying ‘can I get a…’ at bars etc. Occasionally and hate it but it would be weird if I then apologised for it so I just have to silently hate myself and assume the bartender also hates me

any examples?

Maybe I say weird stuff but since I never leave the county I have no idea if it’s localised

in Mad Men megan and her family alternate the whole time between speaking french and english to eachother
i don’t know anyone who does this and i know loads (loads) of non native english speakers
maybe it’s different though because they’re canadian?

‘Can I grab’ is worse.

Once heard a waiter say “No you cannot, but I can get it for you” in response.

2 Likes

Perverts!

1 Like

I wonder what the logic is with this one.

Does message mean something different in Scottish?

isn’t this standard when you ask for something?

What’s the alternative?

Lots of folk in South Yorkshire say while instead of until and it massively irks me

1 Like

Jnr’s Glastonbury family say that :blush:

1 Like

Was trying to think of some but can’t think of anything specific, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard her phrase something in the same way that I would have.

Her dad just mumbles incomprehensibly so I go full smile and nod mode with him and laugh when he looks at me expectantly. Standard.

1 Like

I find accents really interesting. For example, it fascinates me how someone from, say, Manchester or Birmingham for arguments sake, would hear a Cornwall or Devon accent and wouldn’t know if that person was from down there or Bristol or Somerset or wherever, but to my ears, they’re completely different. I guess it’s the same as me not being able to differentiate between Yorkshire and Lancashire for example. Fascinating.

1 Like

My half-Swedish ex and her fully Swedish mum used to switch between languages mid-sentence, to the extent that one or the other would end up speaking to me in Swedish without noticing.