Things you have been slow to realise

They eat guinea pigs in Peru. Bet they taste amazing.

1 Like

My mate tasted Capybara when he was in South America somewhere (presumably where Capybara are) and said it was very tasty.

1 Like

Must have been very recent!

3 Likes

I do not get this joke.

They’re not. Stringy and a bit tough. Plus they serve it with the head still on the body so you know you’re not being served rat. Which used to happen apparently.

2 Likes

UI/UX stuff like this is incredibly irksome, isn’t it? Not so much the fact that interfaces and workflows change, which is just inevitably as products evolve. But that there’s just a pointless logical anomaly to it. Even if that not-quite-a-tab toggle thing was deemed desirable, there’s no harm at all in it remaining in the tree on the left.

1 Like

I think this is probably better, not least because it functions over subfolders whereas the old one was only in the Inbox, but it’s not clear. If the update had rolled out and I got a little thing saying “This has moved here!” then maybe. Probably that just wasn’t possible.

In the field of this stuff I basically rate this as more reasonable than the constant weird updates to Twitter, FB, iOS, Android etc where you just discover something’s been changed but you can’t even see it being remotely different in terms of use.

1 Like

That the 5 second mini-trailer at the start of film trailers on YouTube exists because YouTube shows an ad for 5 seconds before it lets you skip it.

Did everyone know this already? Was it just me wondering why I was being advertised the trailer I had already specifically looked out to watch?

Don’t think so. It’s outside the YT advert algorithm. It’s literally a trailer of a trailer because they reckon attention spans are too short, AFAIK

1 Like

Nah, I just got a trailer for Uncharted as a YouTube ad & it was timed too perfectly to be a coincidence.

Okay I looked it up & in 2016 articles were claiming it was for auto play in newsfeeds, which does sound about right for 2016. Why movie trailers now begin with five-second ads for themselves - The Verge

But the one I got was definitely timed to try & make me not skip the ad. So maybe we can both be right. :smile:

I mean it’s certainly not beyond possibility for YT to fling an ad up like that. But when trailer trailers happen generally they are stuck onto the start of the video. Ie if you rewind to the start of the video you’ll see the trailer trailer again; if it’s a YT trailer it only appears once.

1 Like

This was stuck on to the start of the video. The ad was the whole trailer, but the mini-trailer finished at the point where I could skip it, thereby avoiding watching the full trailer for Uncharted, which I was being shown as an ad.

(Joke’s on them, I already watched the trailer for Uncharted this morning, so their ad money was wasted.)

1 Like

It says “Hipster Laundry Basket” because you carry it against your hip not because… well I’m not sure what I thought really.

EDIT : “COMPUTER ENHANCE”

12 Likes

Kia ora means hello in Maori

1 Like

“It’s always in the last place you look” is literal, not just exasperation

1 Like

That’s just something you have learned surely. You were never going to magically realise it were you?

1 Like

isn’t that everything?