Things you have been slow to realise

Not-Shia

(just a generic actor I didn’t know the name of, similarly to the Rob Redford nodding gif)

2 Likes

Which everyone always seems to think is yer man from the hangover

1 Like

:no_mouth:

Le gasp

1 Like

Match of the day is a pun on catch of the day

3 Likes

Eh?

:fishing_pole_and_fish:
That kind of catch

1 Like

It’s just short hand for ‘the best match of today’ surely?

2 Likes

It goes back to the old days of matchmaking when the workers in the match factory would all get together at the end of each day and decide who had made the best match. And then they would go and watch football.

13 Likes

?Fun? Fact: Match Of The Day started off as a tennis programme.

1 Like

That Ben’s Cookies is a global chain and not just a local establishment

I learned a good fact at the weekend but I forgot it.

1 Like

Only a couple of days have passed since the weekend. That’s not particularly slow to realise - it’s quite a quick turnaround of forgetting and remembering, really.

There’s no actual citation for that on the Wikipedia page

Although the title was first used by the BBC for its Wimbledon tennis highlights programme in June 1964, the first football-related edition of Match of the Day was screened on BBC Two on 22 August 1964, and showed highlights of a game between Liverpool and Arsenal at Anfield. The programme’s audience was estimated at only 20,000, less than half of the attendance at the ground.[4]

but written as it is, it makes it sound like the title happened to be used for a daily highlights programme during Wimbledon rather than the same programme being changed from tennis to football as you’re implying.

Oh my god theo, what are you doing?!

10 Likes

Agreeing with what I said, by the looks of things.

1 Like

by theo

2 Likes

Two things.

For the first couple of read-throughs, I thought this meant Lincolnshire/East Anglia.

:question:

Ah, ok. Thought I’d at least copped on to the first one as being Japan/East Asia. But I’d flunked that one too. :persevere:

1 Like

Part of me thinks to this you respect custom, part of me thinks it is stuff like this which has been part of repressing left handed people for practically all time and whatever the parent culture is it should not have to be adhered to (similarly with using right hands to shake).

5 Likes