Things you have been slow to realise

I’ll give this a go

was tryna remember the big single. ‘Clean & Neat’!

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: so pure

1 Like

Oh. I thought Neal Stephenson had made that up in Snow Crash. Or Cryptonomicon, I forget which. In retrospect that seems less likely.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re married (unless that’s very recent?), but they’ve definitely been in a relationship for a good few years now. She has some kind of animal/horse/farm charity thing called My Lovely Horse Rescue.

2 Likes

Yeah I think it just came from that, nothing to do with “meatspace” afaik

I hate it anyway and cringe whenever I see it used

2 Likes

It definitely predates then

I absolutely always had the understanding that the use of ‘meat’ in relation to an IRL DiS meetup was entirely linked to the phrase/concept of meatspace.

Albeit used with a sense of irony, because it would have taken hold on DiS when the wave of web2.0 and social media was becoming a thing. So oldskool ‘traditional’ internet stuff like meatspace and ASL would have been viewed as dated by the (then!) hip young things of DiS and ripe for a degree of ironic/knowingly cheesy revived usage.

Was doing the washing up and thinking about Wolfgang Peterson’s opus, Troy, as I often do, when it hit me full in the face that It’s all about the invasion of Iraq. I’ve seen it so many times yet never put two and two together.

The I looked it up and saw this was pretty explicit at the time (though filming apparently started before the invasion began)

But so much of it works on as a one to one analogy, even Achilles defilement of Hector’s body is just like Abu Ghraib.

only realised about james acaster and rose matafeo recently, knew they’d both dated comedians but didn’t realise it was eachother :exploding_head:

1 Like

btw I always think of great answers to this thread and then forget them again

Jangly indie? And meetups? It’s how we were raised
Dismeat and Priest were the Gods that we praised

I’ve never made the Iraq war connection, but would like to state that Troy is one of my top Very Watchable Terrible Films.

3 Likes

Used to watch it all the time while pissed with mates at uni. It was our film for some reason. Can quote the whole thing.

“I would be scared to fight him sir”
“AND THAT IS WHY NO ONE WILL REMEMBER YOUR NAME”.

4 Likes

Saw this at the cinema.

Someone very loudly went “THE SNEAKY BUGGERS” when all the soldiers came out of the horse.

One of my all time top 10 cinema moments.

32 Likes

The cold war was named that because there wasn’t much fighting, like cold case, not because it was cold countries involved in it.

3 Likes

Oh Scout I’m with you. When i realised (29 i was, etc) i got somewhat annoyed because since when does ‘cold’ mean ‘no bloodshed’ or whatever!

Stupid 80s.

1 Like

George Orwell coined the term in 1945.

So that’s another thing to blame on his fans.

Brown is just dark orange.

Whaaat

1 Like

Famously nippy place, Cuba

4 Likes

Not wrong

6 Likes