Things you have been slow to realise

Someone mentioned the Streisand effect last week. I’d always thought she was called Barbra StreisLAND. Weird.

Her midfle name is Jeans?! Blimey

How many of you fools are there?! :smiley:

Officer Crabtree in Allo Allo was English.

I always assumed that he was meant to be French.

I did actually think it was quite funny that when Michelle spoke in a French accent the British Airmen couldn’t understand her, and then when she switched to English accent they could. Her English accent was sexy AF, as well.

On a tangential note, is there a decent film about the activities of the French Resistance? They played a massive part in supporting the Allies particularly during D-Day when they cut communication lines which added to German confusion about where they were being invaded and by whom. The French always seem to be fairly absent from WWII films. We think about WWII as being Allies vs Gremans and don’t think that a lot of it was fought in someone else’s country. It must have been scary as fuck living in occupied France.

Female Agents is about French resistance/undercover agents if I remember correctly.

There’s a few about Dutch and Czech resistance fighters that I’ve seen.
Dutch:
Black Book
Flame and Citron
Winter in Wartime

Czech:
Anthropoid
The Man with the Iron Heart
(both about the same thing)

1 Like

I think The Sorrow And The Pity is the best documentary on the subject that I’ve seen:

2 Likes

That first one looks right up my alley! Will check those out, thanks!

No worries. I think they’re all on Netflix. I liked them all and Black Book is really good.

* danish (good film though)

3 Likes

Add Max Manus to that - about the Norwegian Resistance.

That’s a really good point @anon16531887 makes, I can’t think of anything particularly about the French Resistance.

There’s Charlotte Gray and an old 80s drama series called Wish Me Luck, but they’re about SOE agents more than the Resistance.

Army of Shadows by Joseph Kessel, who was in the Resistance and also - oddly - wrote Belle de Jour. AoS was made into a classic film by Jean-Pierre Melville, who was also a member of the Resistance.

Can this be real?

1 Like

I think this is a coincidence, the east London Isle of Dogs (which I assume is the original) is called that because it’s where the royal hunting hounds were raised while the monarch lived at Greenwich.

This makes so much sense now.

Are you sure they didn’t name it that because they fucking love dogs?

3 Likes

Isle Of Man

I love man

Isle Of Man

I love man

#makesyouthink

9 Likes

I was a child and I understood him to be an undercover British officer with laughably imperfect French.

5 Likes