Things you have been slow to realise

so the song was named after the band then?

well i wiiiiiish, i was a catfish

(the stones are named after that song ^, the dylan song just after the idiom i think)

1 Like

He never did anything this important when he was an MP

4 Likes

Was watching a TV episode recently where someone sawed the barrel off a shotgun and realised that’s what they mean by a sawn-off shotgun. When I’d heard the term before (mostly video games) I’d always just assumed they were manufactured as stubby little guns.

2 Likes

Our council estate has a ‘lumber point’ where I’ve seen various items left. I’ve only ever heard lumber used to mean wood so I kept think other residents were taking the piss but no

Seems to be a general term for bulky household stuff.

4 Likes

Might be a little bit old fashioned, but it’s pretty common Scottish usage to say “get lumbered with” to mean having to do something tedious or annoying.

And my uncle would still ask his grandson if he “got a lumber up the dancin’.”

2 Likes

Yeah I’m familiar with ‘get lumbered with’ or lumbering about but I figured that wood is heavy and cumbersome I suppose!

2 Likes

Big fan of “lumber room” for attic. Used in at least one sherlock homes story iirc.

1 Like

My mind always goes straight to Cod Liver Oil And The Orange Juice when I hear ‘lumber’. (King Creosote used to do a great version live.)

:notes::notes: “Does this bus go tae the Dennistoun Palais?
Oooh-ho… I’m lookin’ fur a lumber”

2 Likes

The Mary Wallopers version of Cod Liver Oil is great too

1 Like

Hmm seems like i could be misremembering the exact use of “lumber room” but he definitely uses lumber in this sense.

From A Study in Scarlet

“I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out.”

1 Like

Nine Black Alps got their name from a Sylvia Plath poem

5 Likes

George V (UK) and Nicholas II (Russia) were cousins

And Kaiser Wilhelm II! Thats why they’re all played by Tom Hollander in The King’s Man.

For a less insane version of the events that led to the Great War, there’s this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Emperors-Cousins-Empires-World/dp/0141019980

2 Likes

Is that film good? I kinda liked the first Kingsmen film and then the second was kinda poo, so didn’t bother with the latest one.

I quite enjoyed it, it’s pretty brainless but Fiennes is very watchable.

1 Like

You need to toast a pitta bread to make a pitta pocket

Quality ones open but yes, toasting warms the air inside and puffs them more. Always enjoyed toasting them from frozen and watching them puff up under the grill.

2 Likes

You gotta pitta pocket or two?

9 Likes

In this life one thing counts
For my lunch, large amounts
All the salads and extra cheese

1 Like