Things you have been slow to realise

Attempting to learn from my previous ignorance I presumed that Brigid Mae Power was some kind of play on British Sea Power. But no, it is just her name.

I was just in the shower thinking about how much of a terrible person I am, and then thought to myself I should stop being such a hypocrite, and to just live and let live. Then I laughed and thought live and let DIE, more like. Then the penny dropped and I realised the James Bond film Live and Let Die is a pun of the popular phrase live and let live.

mindblown.gif

You seriously never got where the film title came from?

mindblown.gif

Elmlea and let spar

So, like in the words of the famous Wings song? That is the theme? Of the James Bond film…?

"When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say ‘live and let live’
(you know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But if this ever-changing world in which we’re living
Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die…"

I just don’t think I’d ever really thought about it. Just took the title at face value. Probably watched the film before I was aware of the phrase, tbf, used to bloody love it.

Yes to all

i’ve been pronouncing “cache” as “cash-ey” instead of “cash”. thought it was one of those frenched up words we have that retain their original pronunciation but apparently not.

i alternate between the two a bit because uncertainty

i get such mad anxiety from being unsure about the pronunciation of certain words. i really hate it.

when i was a kid i read a spider-man comic where he’s fighting a giant robot and he makes a classic spidey pun at a key moment of opportunity, and because i was a dipshit kid i walked around for years saying “hey, relax guy, don’t look a gift-bot in the mouth.”

Maybe when we took the word from the French we had to make it sound different from cachet.

Tai-Pan, surely…?

What about you only live twice?

Been saying “pain-staking” for years; recently realised it is actually “pains-taking”

Well I’ve just learned that cache and cachet are two different things (I thought it was the same word, with two different meanings).

WAIT

What?

I think somewhere he says that Tai-Pan is a misunderstanding and mostly refers to the head of a brothel, while Lo-Pan means general head of an organisation…

See also “fine-tooth comb”, not “fine tooth-comb” #holyshit

ffs