Things you have been slow to realise

this thread has just turned into ‘here is a fact’

2 Likes

I have made this observation animatedly in the pub several times.

How absolutely lovely for your drinking companions, I’m sure.

1 Like

well there’s summat i just found out :exploding_head:

1 Like

I’ve been pronouncing it correctly, but have always presumed it was spelt only one way (e.g. I’d write something like, this is a nice segway into our next topic) :man_facepalming:

Friday I’m In Love would have been a top 5 hit (it peaked at number 6) had they not released it on a Friday like the old romantics they are - back then UK singles chart sales were measured from Monday to Sunday so it only gave them 3 out of 7 possible days of sales…

4 Likes

Hard to believe it with a face like mine!!1

1 Like

What happened to ‘Lovecats’???

No 7

1 Like

I’m pretty geeky about music and did not know this.

Boris Johnson has a brother called Jo, who has just resigned from government. Unbelievable.

3 Likes

Until just now I never realised that if you take off the plastic bottom of a stapler you can store spare staples in there.

1 Like

At that Labour Live event earlier in the year their sister Rachel was behind me in the queue for burritos. She was waving an EU flag. In the newspaper article she wrote about the event she complained about having to queue for nearly an hour to get something to eat. It was 25 minutes.

1 Like

Always assumed that a dishwasher operated similarly to a washing machine - that it pretty much filled with water and the spinny round bits in there sloshed it about and got it all foamy.

Saw a video a few months back of the inside of a dishwasher and imagine my disappointment to discover that the ‘spinny round bits’ just spray water about.

Menace Beach is a pun of Venice Beach

Why don’t I question anything?

3 Likes

You know tubes of stuff (toothpaste, tomato purée etc etc) with the tiny foil seal? I would spend literally minutes trying to peel it off and end up jabbing with a fork. Transpired that the cap often has a recessed pointy bit for breaking the seal. Blew my fucking mind. Incredible engineering.

15 Likes

What FKA means, and that it means anything at all.

(Thanks @allnerve for making this clear in the title under your new name)

2 Likes

Luke Skywalker wasn’t talking about applying to the Rebel Alliance academy.

3 Likes

You’ll be pleased to know Notes and Queries is here to give you the most impressive list of tiresome people who just want to get published but haven’t bothered to engage with the question

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-19335,00.html

Ha, yeah when @FKA_Adam_Jeffson came back I suddenly twigged it was ‘Formerly Known As’ and then realised that was presumably why FKA Twigs is called that

Oh wait, I actually read the article

Several sources have claimed that the “FKA” stands for “Formerly Known As”.[21][22][23] However, Twigs herself has said in multiple interviews that the letters do not stand for anything in particular.

1 Like

Kind of linked, Genoa FC is the first club in Italy and was originally set up as an English team, as such it’s the only team in Italy which the English name is used even when spoken in Italian (the city is actually Genova).

Learned that from an Italian colleague yesterday.

2 Likes