Things you like to happen in songs

I like it when it feels like the drums slow down for a little bit (I don’t know if they’re actually slowing down or if they’re getting played a fraction behind the beat or something? This isn’t a thread where musical theory is required).

An example is in Darkness on the Edge of Town:

58 seconds in, there’s a darkness on the e-e-e-e-edge of town, that bit. Is it maybe changing time signature actually, from 4/4 to 6/8? Even scientists don’t actually know. Really enjoyable though.

5 Likes

Also, WHAT A SONG.

2 Likes

False ending (at 2.39 here)

8 Likes

See also: Isolation by Joy Division.

2 Likes

Two songs with so much in common.

1 Like

Half time drums (like in S-Ks bury our friends)
Guitar harmonies

2 Likes

when it starts with a single snare hit

3 Likes

When the song is The Impression That I Get by The Mighty Bosstones

13 Likes

i prefer to listen to things in songs tbh

Going from mid-tempo to really fast quite quickly. Bands go it so little but it can be so effective.

I can’t listen to songs at the moment, so I can’t give you any exact timings, but here are two examples:

1 Like

See also: a single snare hit as a fill, like in John L by Black Midi. Satisfyingly tight.

when a lot of instruments drop out so you’re just down to bass+drums or something similar

when a song changes quality/fidelity so you jump from a scratchy acoustic section into a full band bit, or vice versa. The opening of the GBV track does this well, or the ending of the Soccer Mommy one at 3:13

6 Likes

guitar harmonics - just one of my favourite sounds ever

7 Likes

Yus love this. 3:37 here when they cut back the synth:

3 Likes

Happens twice in this

2 Likes

very on brand band choices by us

1 Like

Do love a false ending. The Midnight have pulled it off a couple of times, both to completely thrilling effect. That there’s so many other little things I love to happen in these songs (gated drums, big sax action, non-verbal choruses…) is just icing:

I like a good, long build-up at the start of a song. Same riff/hook, but with multiple instruments / tracks building on it. Like this

4 Likes

For kpop songs, when line distribution is changed, like if one part repeats its not the same person repeating but someone else for some variety, love to see that

Yeah! Like at 2:55 on this track:

3 Likes