Things you like to happen in songs

Always love it when a song starts with a riff and you start mentally counting what you think the time signature is, and then it completely flips when the beat kicks in:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Yes! This one gets me every time

2 Likes

Hip hop where instead of verses they are trading back and forth on lines or even words:

3 Likes

Oh that’s cool, extra points for when it’s not the beat but another instrument that straightens things out!

This still blows my mind:

5 Likes

The fake out drop

Extra distortion. Bonus marks for coming in off the beat.

1 Like

I like it when a song’s an album closer that keeps building in intensity.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I did not know that about Videotape. I can’t unhear it unsyncopated though.

Ha, yeah, that’s a good one. I like seeing how long I can pretend Napoleon Solo by ATDI is in 3/4. I can usually make it through those opening vocals

1 Like

When the second or third chorus kicks in a few bars earlier than expected

When an already-manic song somehow finds an extra gear and gets even more manic

When both of these things happen at once

2 Likes

Janet Weiss’s drumming in general is one of my favourite things to happen in songs.

4 Likes

When John Otto is told to take them to the Matthews Bridge.

1 Like

When there’s a gap between the first verse and chorus but there’s no gap between the second verse and chorus.

Drawing a blank on other examples right now, so have some Silverchair.

A simple one, but when there’s a sustained note in the background in a verse or chorus later in the song. It really helps escalate things and/or ratchet up the tension.

When the singer screams at the start of a guitar solo or distortion blast.

last verse of Teen Spirit is a primo example

1 Like

When most of the lyrics to a song are vaguely poetic / abstract / metaphorical, but then the singer suddenly hits you with something brutally direct and blunt.

When a lead instrument plays the same, repeating melody line over a changing chord sequence such as in the outro section to Coldplay’s Fix You.

I love, love it when the guitars kick into absolute meltdown but the singer carries on singing melodically as if they’re in no way bothered by the absolute tornado raging around them.

MBV do this a fair bit but the absolute champion of this is Little Fury Things by Dinosaur Jr at 2:27 here

6 Likes