Things you only know about due to American Film and TV

? No…

gravy = one very specific type of ‘sauce’ in the UK. like, one thing you’d pour over a roast dinner or sausage and mash. any US film or tv show, they refer to anything from tomato based to cheese based sauces as gravy.

I have never heard that.

Hee hee hee

2 Likes

Always got really confused when Italian Americans in films like ‘Goodfellas’ and programs like ‘Sopranos’ rever to tomato based sauce as ‘gravy’ but then in the Southern US they have more recognisable ‘gravy’ with fried chicken and that.

1 Like

Hmmm.
“New York Italian chef weighing in. If we put meat in the sauce while cooking it’s a gravy do the meat juices in it. If it’s a simple tomato basil sauce such as a marinara or a pompadoro it’s sauce.”

one example - this is not what people in the UK would call gravy

1 Like

But Americans don’t walk anywhere!

2 Likes

Sugo vs ragu.

1 Like

Was really excited by the concept of eating ‘Grits’

1 Like

Grits are great, had them this morning.

1 Like

Grits really are great!

1 Like

‘Grits’ is porridge, I had such high expectations, you guys have such good marketing.

2 Likes

Yeah but do you slather them over your country fried steak, i think not!

its probably a like a chicken fried steak - still not sure whether this is beef or chicken.

2 Likes

I dont know what porridge is, seems soupy likr an oatmeal type, grits are a little chunkier white cornmeal sauce with butter and salt. To me at least.

2 Likes

i think its evident that american and british meals are two distinct things DESPITE sharing the same language. crazy, i know.

Grits on country fried steak, best hangover cure of all time.

No egg. Biscuits, white sauce gravy on country fried steak, grits in cup. Also go right on top of sauce and country fried steak.

1 Like

That’s not a fried egg under the biscuit?