Things you say because your parents said them

I’m not as daft as you look.

Regularly say it to my daughter, much to her annoyance.

1 Like

‘up the wooden hill to bedfordshire’

7 Likes

Oh good grief, overlooked the two biggies here.

I (privately) call a banana a beananoid and when it’s time for bed I say (only to m, mind you) that it’s time for bebowdibayoh.

Quare stretch in the evenings.

2 Likes

Hearing that phrase for the first time of a year is absolutely one of the high points of life

1 Like

Used to do it ironically but it’s becoming a regular enough thing for me.
Gettin old!

Also have always been one for saying “a rake of…” for when there’s a lot of something. Definitely got that from the parents.

1 Like

Think my mum’s an absolute goldmine of this sort of stuff but I can’t think of anything right now.

My dad speaks English almost, but not quite, like a native speaker, and is also always very certain that he’s right, so when he pronounces a word wrong it’s delivered with the confidence of a native speaker. As a result, very occasionally I’ll pronounce a word wrong because that’s how I learned it, with no idea that it’s one of my dad’s guesses, and everyone makes fun of me.

8 Likes

what does this one mean please

3 Likes

Is this useless like “you shape like a wooden duck with a tin behind”

1 Like

NOBODY speaks to me like that, not even my close friends. You don’t know me! YOUR BLOCKED!

(i dont understand your one either sorry)

6 Likes

I am shocked to find I don’t have you on mute to be honest.

Safety wink.

I punctuated that badly. I think the phrase means someone is being bad at doing something / doing it in an awkward manner.

1 Like

When I get home I sometimes say (to my girlfriends annoyance) ‘Home again, home again, jiggety-jig’.

My parents always said it but I had no idea it was a nursery rhyme (until today). I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to look up what it was

4 Likes

“About as much use as a chocolate teapot” - my mum and maternal grandma.

Always confused me as a kid because a teapot’s worth of chocolate sounds fucking great.

1 Like

mum:

‘when I’m good and ready’
‘getting good and mad now’

dad:

various things like @froglet that are incorrect or intonated incorrectly that I’ve picked up over the years, but the worst is something different. I often say ‘goodbye’ like this when hanging up the phone because he does it:

‘bahhhhhh’

3 Likes

also, ‘give over’ a lot too.

4 Likes

‘a bit of the old soixante-neuf’ - Papa Pervo’s special way of describing the number 69. Adds a bit of colour into conversations

2 Likes

Just saying “blimey” in pretty much every context.

1 Like

Yeah just when doing something wrong, paticularly something manual and getting in the way.

1 Like

Ah yes this too altho mine is if I’m out like at a hotel or something it’s jig,

Whereas if it’s my actual home it’s jog

2 Likes

My mother always used to warn us that, “Your sins will find you out,” which I think has a lovely dark/ religious/ murderous tone to it.

3 Likes