Things you say because your parents said them

sounds like a line from a Dark Souls cut scene.

My mam and my Great Grandfather Ariandel.

3 Likes

Uncle Father Gascoigne.

because you’re from Newcastle (I think)

2 Likes

Mainly:

Put wood int th’ole

But also occasionally:

Yer letting all the heat out
and
Were you born in a barn?

A bit obsessed with keeping rooms warm on reflection.

1 Like

“Up in Nelly’s room behind the wallpaper” via my grandparents to both parents and on to me.

Whenever someone coughs - “what’s that coughing for?” My dad always says it and it annoys the hell out of me so now I feel duty bound to pass that annoyance onwards.

I had this at uni in a Spanish translation class, the lecturer asked if someone could give their English translation of a sentence and I confidently gave mine, then he said that wasn’t how we say it in English and I realised he was right and I’d gone two decades just copying how my mum said it

2 Likes

My dad used to call squirrels squirrims and hedgehogs hedgims when I was little so I do now too

4 Likes

Is your dad Roy Batty from out of Bladerunner?

I mean I wouldn’t put it past him that he is an Android.

Just looked this up, I had no idea it was said in Blade Runner, that’s definitely where he would have got it then.

1 Like

Close enough.

1 Like

From my uncle Terry, I say “what a loooada triype” in a Geordie accent if there’s something shit on the telly or I don’t like a song or if a footballer misplaces a pass.

1 Like

‘Your arse in parsley’.

Also a West of Scotland thing it seems.

Used to hear other people’s parents saying things like this and think they were a bit naff. Not as good as what I was used to.

My dad always says “hopbunnybunnybunnyunnybunnybunnyhop” if he sees a rabbit while driving, and he’s correct to do so (and I always do it in my head if I see one).

Five-and-twenty past and five-and-twenty to the hour when telling the time

:laughing: :laughing:

Whenever something breaks, “too long new”

My dad always used to say this when someone left a light on in a room they had left.
“You’d think Carnegie lived in this house”
Meaning Andrew Carnegie, noted millionaire and philanthropist. Only my dad always said it like Car-Knee-Ghee. It started with us using it to mock him but now me, my sisters and my wife all say it.

‘No matter’

Advent is not about eating chocolate every day.

Simmer down.

(When leaving) come on, let’s go let’s go let’s go little darlin’s!

“Well this is a tidy mess isn’t it”