Things you used to believe when you were a kid

That Cornwall was a different country
That secretaries were primarily employed to keep secrets
Stoppage time in football was ‘Scottish time’
Germany was still ruled by the Nazi party and Russia were still the Soviet Union
That when I was playing against the computer in a video game, I was actually playing against some employee of the game company whose job it was to play video games against people
That fat Ronaldo was the greatest player ever and no-one would even come close to being better than him
That everyone in London still wore Victorian garb

7 Likes

That the head of the railways on Thomas the Tank Engine was called the Fuckin’ Troller

25 Likes

my spanish grandad used to pronounce the fat controller like this, much to the amusement of my parents.

2 Likes

That I would be a professional footballer. Remember my mum telling me at like the age of 7 that I was nowhere near good enough and that I’d maybe be good enough to play in division 3 at best and that the pay was crap at that level. She also wouldn’t let me join the local football team because I’d be hanging out with the ‘common’ kids.

Should probably take this to the ‘parents dashing your dreams’ thread, huh?

2 Likes

That being smart and working hard were the keys to happiness and success.

12 Likes

My mum still pretends she can’t pronounce certain things correctly. She still says “we’re going to the bitch” and calls the tops of babies’ bottles “tits”. She’s lived here for 26 years.

4 Likes

yeah, my dad is the same despite having lived in the UK since the mid 80s. other great mispronunciations:

mobile - movile
shed - shit
leicester - leycester

2 Likes

Used to presume that adult life would be good, took it for granted until my teens at least that Christian religion was probably true, also was pretty confident King Arthur and all the rest of it was factual/historically accurate. A pretty gullible kid all in all.

4 Likes

That the world used to be in black and white in the olden days.

7 Likes

That my Dad had invented the term toe-rag. Dream shattered when Harold off Neighbours used it.

That my toys would come alive at night like in the films if I wished enough.

if your hand was bigger than your face you would get cancer.

Thought annie lennox and david bowie were the same person

6 Likes

that the world was legit black and white before colour

2 Likes

Pedestrians were a Christian protestant denomination

3 Likes

That if I slept with my arms in between two layers of blankets then robbers wouldnt be able to find them and tie me up :joy:

That getting pregnant was something that just happened once you got married. Very confused when two un-married character had a baby on neighbours.

3 Likes

When I a kid I had a cat called Daisy, my Dad once told me that Days get longer in the summer whilst he was stroking Daisy, I misheard this as Daisy Gets Longer In The Summer and I spent the next 2 years convinced that cats got longer during the summer.

25 Likes

One of the teachers in the school I worked in in Spain would never say “sheet of paper” for this reason.

Another - that butter was made of buttercups

When I were a kid Russia was stil the Soviet Union.

I believed Maggie Thatcher and the Queen were the same person.

3 Likes

I was legit terrified of thatcher as kid because of spitting image

1 Like