Things you used to believe

Used to think ‘glasgow’ was spelled and pronounced ‘glascow’

Used to think Cornwall was a different country

1 Like

That stoppage time in football was actually called Scottish time and was somehow connected to tv programmes not being screened in Scotland.

5 Likes

used to think it was called scottish time too, but because the scottish had invented the concept

2 Likes

That hernia was another term for heart attack.

i’d watch a paul coia quiz show about hills

1 Like

In fairness, that did used to be the case I think. Not the white noise thing, but there not being programmes on in the early hours. Sure I read/heard somewhere they just showed pages from Ceefax or something.

2 Likes

Approximately a million years ago I decided against buying a U2 CD in France, on the basis of a belief that CD’s bought in foreign countries would have singing in the language of said country.

In hindsight Bono in French might be an improvement.

6 Likes

In life after love

5 Likes

Really wish this was actually the case.

5 Likes

Somewhat off-topic, but you’ve reminded me of this, which used to play at the end of the day’s programmes on NZ TV and is quite lovely and nostalgic. The Goodnight Kiwi - YouTube

4 Likes

almost choking up (even though I’m not an NZ-er so have no nostalgia) seeing someone’s uploaded the last broadcast of it

Along the lines, I am very nostalgic for this:

There are a good few home videos my parents took bc of how funny it was that I would literally stop whatever I was doing in order to walk to the TV and do a weird toddler dance while holding onto the armchair for balance

1 Like

TV used to end at around midnight, maybe 1am at weekends. Yes, Ceefax pages were shown from the 80s but prior to that it was either the test card or no picture and a monotone all night

2 Likes
2 Likes

My mother convinced me that if I pulled back my foreskin too far that my nob would fall off

34 I was

3 Likes

Yup many times fell asleep in front of the TV and woke up to that bloody tone

1 Like

Why didn’t they change the lighting so it doesn’t look like it’s daytime outside!

that the world used to be black and white in olden times (from.seeing black and white tv)

Classic Antpocalypsenow.

my sister bought me a copy of Heroes by Bowie on vinyl in Germany and neither of us knew until I played it that he sings half the title track in German on it

3 Likes

“The songs of Runrig” has done me.