This proposed Russian smoking ban, then

hotopinions
smoking
russia

NGL, I reeeally hate cigarettes/cigarette smoke/people making my clothes and hair all stinky/the lingering smell of cigarette smoke on smokers’ clothes and that. But is banning it the right thing to do? What about the aspect of banning it for people born after a certain point?

And is it part of something more insidious, as in Turkmenistan? https://www.opendemocracy.net/od-russia/amanda-clarkson/turkmenistan-is-using-anti-smoking-laws-to-crack-down-on-media

hmmmmm

The thing about cigarettes compared to other drugs is that the high isn’t desirable so I don’t think they’ll be as desirable as other illegal drugs so prohibition may be more successful.

What would you skin up with though?

I read that 20% of alcohol consumer in Russia is from cleaning fluids/perfumes/etc. 20%!

As a former (for 11 days) smoker, I’ve pretty much always supported measures that make it less convenient (ban in enclosed public spaces, non-smoking areas, larger size packs, health warnings, massive price increase (though this has classist elements but that’s a different discussion for a different time)) and these have contributed pretty directly to me being able to cut down massively and now quit. But I really dislike the idea of an outright ban

Smoking seems way less common with kids in the UK now.

Most schools in the UK now use this register software, that also keeps all the info about detentions, grades, sickness etc too. A little while ago, at an old job in an inner-city school in London that was basically a good school serving an area with lots of poverty, I was going through all the info for detentions/suspensions for year 10 and 11, and preparing a report about the most common behaviour problems.

The most common thing was getting in arguments/fights with other kids, and talking back to teachers. Only one person had been caught smoking, despite the existence of an extensive bike shed.

Yeah buying knock-off aftershave from street kiosks is A Thing.

Yup, as with most things in that area (teenage drinking, teenage pregnancies, teenage crime etc), it peaked around 1996, and has fallen steadily since:

Don’t know how I feel about an outright ban (not that bothered, probably), but think if it’s going to be introduced it makes sense to have an age cut-off, so as not to remove it from people who have smoked their entire life.

I don’t know how tobacco companies would behave though, if they would massively increase their prices once their industry is on limited time.

Schools are way stricter/obsessed with numerical targets now too. I would be a Problem Child now, even though I never really did anything bad.

You see things like the headmaster giving 12 year olds a lecture (with a powerpoint) saying “Now, you know the attendance target is 93.6% this term, and your class only have 93.2%. This is really not good enough, we need to hit all of those targets exactly”. Made me want to be sick.

And people say Tony Blair was an abject war criminal!

if you’re going to ban them then ban them. think the pictures of diseased lungs on packets and all that is daft, as is hiding them behind boards in shops or whatever.

don’t think any drugs should be banned though. let folk do what they want.

Daft, but effective.

We should just get an old person to stand by the counter of every shop tutting and wagging their finger at anyone who tries to buy a cigarette, that’ll cut it right down.

daft in that if you want folk to stop smoking then ban smoking. stop pissing about.

About a year ago a man fella in the que behind me told me as I purchased fegs: ‘you’ll need to be giving those up’

Now I apprenciate he’s not wrong, but fuck me whyd you say that to someone you don’t know? Rural Ireland is the best

Anyway, this ban is probably a good idea, let them try it out

I only stopped smoking weed as i couldnt be arsed sourcing a new dealer.

Ban my cigs and I’ll probably stop that too.

Banning cigarettes doesn’t stop people smoking, and most research suggests that using other tools (increasing price, decreasing easy-availability, putting warnings and images on packets, increasing the purchase age, better education in schools, etc) is a more effective way of reducing smoking rates.

curious how you know that? have they tried banning cigarettes outright in many places?