This review of the Cabbage album is a disgrace

Prompts an interesting debate about the public exoneration of those wrongly accused of such crimes; should the macro concern of eradicating a victim-blaming culture take precedence over the rights of individuals to have their innocence widely acknowledged?

Think we should separate the ‘did the singer of cabbage do anything wrong’ question from the ‘is this piece of writing utterly objectionable’ one because even if the answer to the former is a 100% no the latter would still be a yes

33 Likes

I had presumed there was that seperation, but apologies if that wasn’t clear in my comments. I haven’t read the review or referenced it in my comments and was only replying to people that had intimated they wanted more information.

1 Like

Absolutely - the band have worked with safe gigs for women since the incident and I believe both those parties released statements referring to this after the incident.

1 Like

Don’t Know this band but yeah that review is very very poorly executed

1 Like

Reading through Twitter now. It appears the Dom Gourlay is under the impression that the story first came from an uninformed third party. Firstly this is completely wrong, tweets pointing this out to him but he’s showing not much interest in checking that. Secondly, even with a report existing from somebody who wasn’t there, does that automatically make that person a shit stirrer? No, and it’s pretty fucked up to paint them as such.

1 Like

Then you’re a fucking idiot

3 Likes

@sean

Not sure how involved you are these days with DiS, but this review absolutely needs your attention and for you to decide if you’re comfortable with the assertions Dom makes. If it were me, I’d be removing it as soon as possible.

10 Likes

Yep, sorry to say the integrity of the site depends on it (+ apology)

6 Likes

Which is appalling journalistically if that’s the case. What happened to third party corroboration? If Josh Homme had just said “I spoke to the photographer’s dad after the show, explained it was an accident and everything’s cool between us” would Dom have accepted that without seeking to verify the claim?

5 Likes

No need. I misunderstood the context of the OP.

There’s often a wild difference between being found ‘not guilty’ and ‘being innocent’.

The aggressively victim blaming rhetoric of the review’s opening paras is rape culture personified.

30 Likes

(and I truly believe in and uphold the tenet of ‘innocent until proven guilty’ as legal concept, but that’s not to say that the accused in any given case isn’t a rapey cunt.)

2 Likes

Bang on.

3 Likes

this has been up for a day and by running it, it looks like the site is effectively endorsing a victim blaming culture

it really needs to be taken down asap

6 Likes

If @sean isn’t on the case then can a mod take it down or at least leave the bit that speaks about the album and nothing else. Absolute state of that opening paragraph.

“Those who’ve already made their minds up about the band because of one person’s unscrupulous agenda”

“one person’s unscrupulous agenda”

Is this for fucking real?

30 Likes

Totally agree with all of this. I thought he was innocent as I’d asked earlier in the thread and someone said he was.

1 Like

Not sure if mods have access to changing what’s on the main site (apart from sean, I don’t know who does)

Nail on head.

5 Likes