Alan Partridge

Was put off by the price but slightly regret not going now. Especially as the other gig I’m at tonight is on late to facilitate Partridge goers. Considered grabbing one of the shit £30 seats at the last minute but they were all gone.

What time have his recent shows ended?

Sheffield says 11pm curfew but is it likely to finish a fair bit earlier (8pm start)? Last train back to Leeds is 23:05.

Ours finished around 10:20-10:35

1 Like

For anyone that’s been to this: how is / was it?

Very, very good except one or two places where it felt a bit weak. I was at the first night though and the Gibbons fellas who write for him were watching so they could have possibly tweaked it.

3 Likes

It’s good.

Very extensive use of multi-media, and for the most part it’s works well. Kind of like This Time in how gag-heavy it is.

Seven on ten.

2 Likes

Cheap get-out clause of ‘the character’ but the gender identity/trans jokes felt incredibly lazy/shit/pandering to the white middle-aged audience they otherwise recognised in a really good way. Maybe I misinterpreted it and should give more credence to Alan being a tory but felt more played for cheap laughs - lowest common denominator attack helicopter stuff

Literally made up 1% of the set if that so don’t want to make out like it dominated the whole thing but took a good few minutes to shake off. Left a bit of a sour taste, especially given the wider context at the moment.

Weird gear change but…. Otherwise really good. Just very funny, very good Alan Partridge for the most part.

3 Likes

Yep, thought similar.

Also thought that the references to Clegg/the coalition, ‘that rap music’ and the old iPod silhouette adverts a little out of time.

But again, are we to believe that the character is so out of touch that these remain key cultural touchstones?

Possibly so but when he does things like the visual gag reveal at the start of the second half, all is forgotten as it is just brilliantly funny.

Was there a malfunction with the zip on the big parka or was that a genuine mishap in our show?

Something me and a mate of mine want to know and to be honest had stopped us buying tickets. Are there a load of like people that are just there for the catchphrases who shout them out at random points, like people shouting Dan etc.

1 Like

Not in Belfast, everyone was actually very well behaved. In fact a mate works frontline in NHS and they get allocated a load of tickets for events in the venue that they can apply for for free. They said there was a group in the NHS block sat directly behind them that kept waiting for the seminar to start properly and left at the interval

4 Likes

Loads of Dan’s shouted across the arena we went to in Brum.

The comedy equivalent of the “Go On Tim” lot.

Scum. Subhuman scum.

3 Likes

I just hate the general public

6 Likes

Wasn’t a massive fan of Strategem. Some very funny bits but a lot of the second half left my cold.

EDIT - a couple people shouted Dan but wasn’t that bad. One bloke went to the front of the stage but was over quick and not 100% it wasn’t part of the act as it happened between two “segments”

1 Like

Got to watch the FA Cup final before the show tomorrow anyone know what time he went on stage? Is there any support or anything?

1 Like

No support. Started about 8:10ish from memory

Might watch the game at home then, thanks!

8 Likes

Laughed at the reference to wild swimming

It’s me, it’s me, on Alan, on Alan, on I, on I, on Partridge, on Partridge!

5 Likes