• JavaScript
  • SQL
  • Ruby
  • PHP
  • HTML/CSS
  • R
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

I do more back end stuff that uses some bastardised coding language only really used by the no.1 higher education student records system!!1

1 Like

It’s incredibly frustrating early on as moved from a field totally unrelated. Was basically doing assessments at a Uni and then needed to learn as got roped into a project 4 years ago.
Signing up to Udmey free courses is pretty helpful.

1 Like

tried to learn C++ at uni but found it way too hard to learn by myself. wanna get one of those jobs where you’re in a dev team and they give you free training for the first few months

Yeah, think the only money I’ve paid is for some Jon Duckett books. Been sent on some very specific training courses for the system I work in as well. Very little transferability in the job I do, let’s just hope higher education is in great shape with great prospects over the next few years!..oh, hang on…

1 Like

C++

Just…did it. Fine. i think learning it as a concept is much harder than doing it for some real world purpose.

1 Like

Would like to learn C#

Dunno if coming at it as an intermediate JavaScripter would be a help or hindrance

Not intermediate, dunno I’m shite nvm

Yeah I’m having lessons at work, having been a JS developer for 18 months. Already knowing JS is a massive help, I’m picking it up really quickly. If I’d started on C# instead of JS I think I’d have had a way harder time of it, JS is definitely easier to pick up and was a good language for learning how to actually make stuff in.

1 Like

Front end web stuff

Lots of lovely badly commented spaghetti code which somehow works as long as you don’t touch anything at all

:+1:

2 Likes

C is horrible, how come you’re doing it?

1 Like

I make things happen the way i want them to happen using silly code words and suchlike. Would like to learn a language properly, but not really sure how to go about finding a reason to do so.

XML/CSS/HTML

the three amigos.

1 Like

I liked Delphi, miss programming in that.

Haha that’s an understatement!

Edit: I hate C

1 Like

Also - a massive over reliance on libraries to do probably quite simple stuff
:+1:

i need to learn SQL

also i did a 1hr intro to R recently and the person leading the course kept making reference to SQL as though we all knew it, despite having asked at the start who knew SQL and at least two of us not putting our hands up

1 Like

:wave:
shoot if you want some advice

in response to OP, sometimes Fortran too :nerd_face:

1 Like

When I was 17 and first wanted to learn programming some fucking eejit recommended I start with C, what an eejit.

Mostly Java and Javascript just now, although a good bit of Python and C# in the past. Python is an absolute dream to use tbh.

1 Like

C is a bastard. The reason no one really uses C much any more is that C++ and then C# or Java have superseded it - all of those are C type languages.

I’ve used C in the past but generally I used C++ which is object orientated. Not that I am suggesting this will make your life easier!

C used to be popular for games programming because I think it was faster/more efficient if you knew what you were doing but I’d guess in these days of very powerful computers and complex games it’s not really much of a thing. Half-Life was all done in C though because it was based on the Quake engine.

It’s a surprise for me but I’d guess it’s probably much easier to get C compilers than it is to do BASIC (which tends to be easier to learn if you’re not familiar) and it will mean if you ever see Java or C# or whatever in the ‘wild’ you’ll get a better sense of it.

Developing in C# for example is easier because I can just open up Visual Studio and say I want to start a new ‘Windows Console App’ and it’ll put all the basic stuff in place for me straight off, so I can start typing. Then it also pops up telling me what it thinks I should use to help stop me doing typos etc.

If you’re not using VisualStudio or similar package (an IDE was the old term for, I think, Interactive Development Environment or something) then it could be trickier.

In terms of trying resolve issue you’ll have the two main types:

• errors when you try to compile
  • errors when you run the program

The former hopefully have meaningful errors that will tell you it doesn’t know what that function you’ve used is (you probably forgot to put the correct .h file in your Include list) or you’ve tried to put an Int type of variable into a String one or something (a ‘cast’ error).

Errors when running are annoying - I tend to just use loads of STDOUT to print out values or run in debug and check all the steps.

Google is always your friend. Doing a google of ‘C’ and whatever your error is will usually bring up a bunch of good pointers.

5 Likes