Thread for having the social board make decisions for you

that’s sick as shit

3 Likes

Thanks guys.

Let’s just hope that I, very short very fat guy, pull it off just as well as the model eh :man_facepalming:

1 Like

excited for your Dog Dad era. get some of those waterproof trousers that zip off into shorts to really set the look off :grinning:

1 Like

Only if they have an elasticated waist.

1 Like

I reckon you’ll struggle to find trousers in that style that don’t have an elasticated waist!

2 Likes

Follow up

• Left
  • Right

0 voters

Regretting ordering this now that the poll has evened out. Should have closed it.

This is sort of an ethical dilemma and I would appreciate and be interested to hear DiSers thoughts.

We have a big ugly sofa that I HATE but we’re stuck with it at the moment so I have a couple of blankets over it which look grubby and tatty as hell and I also HATE the look of (on the sofa). A few weeks ago we bought a new throw for the sofa that fits completely over it so you can’t see the tears and old stains etc. We put the throw on, it looked better, we were happy.
However, after a few hours @Avery realised one of the shapes in the pattern was ringing an odd bell so he googled it and it is very similar to a symbol that was used by a (noncurrent) fascist political party in Hungary. So we contacted the company we bought it off and said we’d like to return it but it turns out that involves shipping it to China and is going to cost us almost as much as the throw cost.

So now we’re stuck with the throw and we have to spend another £50 on another design.

If this was a swastika there would be absolutely no question of keeping it, but I’m wondering, since I didn’t recognise the symbol and I doubt anyone coming to visit us is likely to/to associate it with a Hungarian fascist party and it’s one (repeated) shape within a busy pattern, would it be awful to have it on the sofa or would it be ok? For me my main concern would be someone seeing it and finding it upsetting and/or thinking we were secretly horrible racists.
Obviously I wouldn’t consider keeping the throw if I associated an element of the design with fascism but since I’d never seen it before or heard of that party to me it’s just a pattern.

Using the throw

• Awful
  • Fine
  • I’m not sure

0 voters

I can’t wait to move and take this sofa to the tip where it belongs :angry:

You are saying the same as my wife, from the day after the sofa arrived, right up until the day it went to the tip. The solution, it turned out, was simply to buy a new sofa.

2 Likes

We can’t afford to at the moment :frowning:
also obvs I pressed return accidentally by accident and haven’t finished my post :smiley:

3 Likes

Then the only other answer is bean bags.

1 Like

would chucking it in a bunch of dye help…?

1 Like

or those inflatable chairs from 20 years ago

2 Likes

How many of the shapes is there? Could you patch over them? Or strategically place cushions? Or get an anti-fascist throw to balance it out?

2 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

5 Likes

No, I don’t think so

If it’s not even the exact shape used by that party and just similar then, personally, I wouldn’t even consider removing it. I’m sure lots of designs are similar to fascist (or anti fash tbf) designs just by chance, without any political weight attached to them

Also the idea of anyone you know well enough to invite over thinking that you two were secret racists just wouldn’t cross my mind ever

1 Like

If it is any reassurance, as a student my wife got a tattoo of a dragon she had found on a Google image search which she later found out was the logo for a far right affiliated American biker gang and has never been accused of either riding a motorbike or being a big racist.

5 Likes

If it’s the sonnenrad or something then maybe not, but otherwise deffo fine.

It’s really nice and cosy. Everyone who voted no was wrong. Reflect.

1 Like