Thread for posting in every time you're listening to The Smashing Pumpkins

smashingpumpkins

“Oh they got this all screwed up…”

“Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 LP?
No, Past no Future No Sun”

Maladroit really didn’t age well for me. I actually tried it out for the first time in about a decade a few weeks ago after some discussion on the Weezer thread, and I was shocked by how irritating it was. American Gigolo, Take Control, and Burndt Jamb are enjoyable though.

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I wish he weren’t so focused on that and “what the kids want” in general. I feel like I’ve been hearing about the death of the album for a solid two decades now, but I think people who say that are a fraction of the population who have pretty much stopped seeking albums out or stopped investing time in them. There have been so many great albums in recent years.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s sort of a retroactive justification for discontinuing Teargarden? I dunno.

I am listening to The Smashing Pumpkins.

I will probably listen to the Smashing Pumpkins some time next week.

Good lord, get a load of this quote in the Rolling Stone review.

Generations of zeros-turned-heroes followed after 1993’s Technicolor guitar-army bubblegum Siamese Dream , 1995’s bloated but pointed teenage symphony to angst Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and even 1998’s less-heralded techno-gloomster Adore . You can still hear them in arena spaceboys like Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars, alterna-poppers like Tame Impala,…"

Maybe get someone who has actually listened to The Smashing Pumpkins to write your reviews.

I really can’t think of any other artist who is held up to such unreasonable standards or whose work is primarily evaluated on what the reviewer or listener would have chosen to do instead.

it’s all part of why Billy’s such a captivating artist though, because even when he fails it’s in a way that makes people analyse it and feel strongly that things should’ve been done differently. Lots of people (including me) are kind of rooting for him to return to whatever they deem to be his peak, and then get a twisted joy out of how he frustrates them.

Most bands, if they make a patchy album, I won’t bother investing time to think about how it could’ve been better, I just won’t listen to it. But with the Pumpkins I love trying to figure out what’s good and what could be better, listening to demos and live versions to see how the songs change, making alternate playlists from different eras, and seeing how annoyed or pleased other fans are. And it’s largely because he’s a big weirdo so it makes it an interesting narrative to follow, and it kind of makes it about more than just the music.

More like Briney And Oh So Shite. Amirightlads?

*with apologies to the many people who have already made that joke, I’m not reading eighteen million posts to find out who.

Not even listening to any pumpkins

That’s well said and I totally understand. There definitely is a subset of the base like that, and to some degree even I with all of my unbridled enthusiasm / insufferableness am part of it.

I think my frustration is more derived from those outside of that set. I don’t think he’s ever going to get widespread praise from the fans or real critical acclaim unless he meets a very specific, very contradictory, rather impossible set of criteria (think the Simpsons’ focus group scene). And I don’t think other bands need to come anywhere close to meeting the same standards to receive a lot of praise, let alone any at all. Albums guilty of the criticisms lobbed at his work routinely make album of the year lists (many of which I like).

I guess this situation existing is kind of an accidental roundabout validation of Billy as the defining and most talented artist of his generation, so I should be happy. Kind of like how a typical player in the NBA can throw up a 25-10-8 and it’s a great game, whereas Lebron James can throw up a 30-12-10 and be met with “he doesn’t have heart, he should have willed himself to score 40.”

The more i listen to the new record the less i like it.

You’re still listening?!?

Their were nuggets of hope in the album so I thought I’d try and let it grow on me. It hasn’t really worked out that way sadly.

Not as good as Oceania

Always see billy as more of a magic johnson.

He’s The Dream Team.

I am listening to the smashing pumpkins :jack_o_lantern:

Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun to be specific, largely because my downstairs neighbours are being annoying, and thought the wo-wo-wo’s are a proportionate response

I quite like the weird filter sound the goes in time with the music towards the end of marchin’ on

Joke’s on me, have had this stuck in my head for a fucking week now.

I am (involuntarily) listening to the Smashing Pumpkins, I guess.