Thread for posting in every time you're listening to The Smashing Pumpkins

smashingpumpkins

Oh its certainly an earworm. With knives for a mouth

Currently listening to the song Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

I have listened to the Smashing Pumpkins (new one).

Two and a half times so far. Finding some of the reactions to it somewhat hilarious for their preciousness. It’s fine. Not world shatteringly brilliant, not even consistently good, but there are enough decent /solid songs on it to make it listenable. Even numbered tracks are all either good or great. Odd numbered tracks vary between awful, somewhat tedious and close to average. Don’t get the hysteria about the woah-woah-woahs. Sure, the opening track is pretty bad (well, awful), but the woahs are far from the worst part about it, and there are songs on MCAS that are just as bad.

Even if it doesn’t improve on repeated listens its a 5/10 at the very least. Might claw its way up as high as 7/10. Or it might not. Happy to give it enough listens to find out either way.

I’ve decided I like the second half of the album (maybe what would’ve been the second EP?) but the first half, each song has something that prevents me from enjoying it. Knights of Malta tries to cover up lazy songwriting with overproduction, Silvery Sometimes has a pants chorus, Travels is weedy as hell and the vocals at the start of Solara are abysmal.

There are no songs as bad on Mellon Collie. Pitchfork were spot on with their ‘husk’ of an album comment. Sure it is listenable and has a few interesting moments, but reckon that is true of the vast majority of commercially, it’s just an album devoid of song writing that doesn’t need to exist

I am listening to Siamese Dream

Geek USA :partying_face:

Hard to pick a favourite from SD, because they’re all so good, but gun to head, it would be Geek USA.

For this even if nothing else

I am listening to a recording of their performance at Reading 95, for the second time today.

Emptiness is loneliness and loneliness is cleanliness
And cleanliness is godliness, and God is empty unlike my to-do list

Soma for me clive

At the risk of stirring up negative comments about the new album, Spin’s review says Solara has “the tone, cadence, and feel of 1993’s Siamese Dream deep cut Geek USA.” What in the world? I’m really starting to think that music critics who review The Smashing Pumpkins have never listened to The Smashing Pumpkins and just write based on an assembly of message board comments.

Actually…

Maybe the woah-woah’s are a metaphorical commentary on music critics. I’ve solved The Shiny Mystery.

Listening to the new one. I assume the usual suspects are pretending to find merit in it but its bloody rubbish

no merit to be found

I think it’s enjoyable. A perfectly fine album.

Like how this thread has been more successful than any Smashing Pumpkins side project :smiley:

Or, for that matter, any Smashing Pumpkins-related endeavour past 1998

Average you heard the machina acoustic demos though?

Saw a smashed pumpkin on the way to work

Of course, what high-IQ person hasn’t?

I assume 1998 was a typo then