Thread for posting in every time you're listening to The Smashing Pumpkins

I am listening to the Smashing Pumpkins

3 Likes

Listening to Gish a lot recently. Never appreciated it that much but enjoy the dynamics and speed of the songs. Love Bury Me and Snail so much

1 Like

You’ll come to recognise it as the second best Smashing Pumpkins album before you know it.

1 Like

Oh no, here comes the rankings…

1. Mellon Collie
  2. Adore
  3. Machina
  4. Siamese Dream
  5. Aeroplane Flies High
  6. Gish
  7. Machina 2
  8. Pisces Iscariot
1 Like

There is no way to order them so I don’t fault you but this is outrageous.

2 Likes

Half the tracks dont do much for me…Blue, girl named sandoz, spaced, soothe, frail…kitty kat, starla, whir and obscured are excellent, can take or leave the rest… loads of better outtakes/one offs that would have made it much stronger…drown, glynis, vanilla, apathy’s last kiss, not worth asking etc…

Machina 2 has Home, Vanity, Real Love, Let me give…, speed kills, dross, cash car star so definitely tops pisces for me!!

1 Like

Definitely agree about Glynis and Vanilla, there’s something about the others (it might just be a synesthesia thing) that keeps them from fitting on Pisces for me even though they’re amazing songs. Purr Snickety definitely could have been on there too, and probably Crawl also. (It probably won’t surprise you to find out I love everything on there.)

There’s something about the album as is though - it has such a unique, cohesive atmosphere even though on paper it shouldn’t work at all since it’s pretty much them at their most rustic and them in pure fuzzed out guitar wizardry mode. It has this magic to it that’s different from the Mellon Collie magic Think it might be their most flat out enjoyable album and the greatest springtime album ever.

Same here, I’m always surprised by how well it flows and how stacked it is. Think the issue is the multiple versions (and the first half ending with the HMM remix), it’s like it subconsciously makes you feel that it’s less put together than it is.

1 Like

Would be better if it was exclusively for Adore/Machina so we would have a outtakes album trilogy. Odd to include a bunch of mellon collie outtajes but nothing from siamese or gish/pre-gish

2 Likes

Don’t think I’d ever listened to that early version of Blank Page before, god it’s beautiful. It’s pure Antlers, over a decade earlier.

3 Likes

We are so lucky to have this band.

2 Likes

I can’t get into this, because no one will take me seriously when I have MCIS at 4th

Nothing better than Siamese Dream played loud in Halloween weather.

Love how he has a song like Soot and Stars just sitting there. Kills me that I can’t play it in Music League.

1 Like

Listening to the Hello Kitty Kat demo right now, somehow never realized Jellybelly grew out of the bit before the guitar solo.

Still think 95% or more of Machina’s harshest critics have never listened to Machina.

1 Like

Think it’s the only thing that makes me feel happiness.

1 Like

Their stage banter is so underrated, love seeing them goofing around. Everyone thinks he’s this humorless misery robot, it doesn’t match up with reality at all.

1 Like

“Billy Corgan BERATES fans for not singing along to deep cut.”

1 Like