Thread for posting in every time you're listening to The Smashing Pumpkins

Just bumping this for anyone who hasn’t heard it yet since Mary Star of the Sea was brought up. Re-listening now I wish they had kept that extra part for the album, it’s pretty special. Can’t quite explain why but it almost feels a bit Modest Mouse or even emo.

1 Like

Forgot about Blissed, and once again it’s taking all of my self-restraint to not start clogging up the Big Thief thread.

Forgot how good this is.

wild how like 9 out of the 10 best guitar solos of all time are by Billy Corgan

2 Likes

Don’t think I’d ever seen this, this was a great watch. Still think he’s really sharp and insightful and spot on about pretty much everything related to his career / how he’s treated.

1 Like

Still find the rage / ridicule over Siddhartha really weird and telling. Here’s a guy who created his own art space and in his free time put together a little performance of a personal project. It’s like doing a fun, weird little creative project with a friend over a weekend and all of a sudden everyone is calling you mentally ill / ripping you apart for it not being a massive multi-platinum rock album. It’s absurd.

1 Like

Haha yeah, that jumped out at me too. That was a very telling moment.

1 Like

Me neither. I feel bad about it, but between some very bad English teachers and my high school nemesis (who said the Pumpkins are too distortion based and that I should consider “moving on” to jazz) reading poetry in the park to girls he liked, I couldn’t do it.

1 Like

It was jibberish. Totally impenetrable. Like his recent lyrical choices…just arcane words with no meaning or emotion

1 Like

I’d like to think Billy was pointing at the peers he had left in his dust.

1 Like

Been having trouble listening to anything that’s not the Pumpkins lately, almost everything else feels so boring / small / flat / lacking dimension.

Listened to Machina and Adore today, and I will never understand the idea of their being mistakes or jokes or any other negative word people throw at them. Nobody’s written a better album since, I truly believe that.

1 Like

3 Likes

I really like the pause before the last chord happens, when you expect it to be a big crunchy RAWK ending, and then it ends up being really delicate and gentle

1 Like

Oh yeah I was going to try to listen to Gish for the first time wasn’t I. Thanks for reminding me!

3 Likes

I am now listening to Gish

@JaguarPirate about an hour ago:

4 Likes

Really love Strength in Numbers, wish we had a full version.

Feels like the Here’s to the Atom Bomb MP3 situation all over again.

Always forget how great this version is.

2 Likes

I want a Machina 3 and 4. What an era.

1 Like

I know I’ve said it before but Peace+Love is seriously an A+ song. Hope anyone lurking who isn’t into / dismisses anything post 2000 gives it a shot. Really beautiful and affecting.

1 Like

I have put on Mellon Collie while I do my invoicing

2 Likes