Thread for posting in every time you're listening to The Smashing Pumpkins

Delighted at how much Hooray is boiling the piss of fans on Reddit. Seems like a fun goofy song for his kids.

I like the album quite a lot already. Tracks all sound better than they did in crappy podcast quality. But then I love Cyr.

2 Likes

I think the podcast album roll out was an interesting idea i just dont get why the album was released today when theyre only up to hooray on the podcasts. It doesnt make sense to release it on a tuesday unless they were all done.

Also a bit strange that the lead single wasnt on part 1

Having a poorly timed flat day and it’s going to take multiple listens for me to process this anyway. But first three impressions:

• Think Steps in Time might be the first listen standout
  • Hooray! is making me smile, good for him, he’s the best
  • The Gold Mask is really nice even though he’s saying lover again

This chat made me fascinated to hear Hooray! so I’ve given it a listen. Sounds like Coming Up by Wings.

Hooray made me smile a bit, which is apt, as I think I screamed Hooray the first time I saw The Smile this year.

1 Like

I don’t like this. Dammit Billy, stay safe.

Machina II is really good and I am LISTENING to IT

2 Likes

Better than regular Machina imo

1 Like

Really not sure why Netphoria is shitting on The Golden Mask specifically. Think it’s a standout so far honestly, melodically it kind of reminds me of Zwan.

I like the drumming on the new album but I also dislike the beats on the new album.

I thought you were waiting until all three parts were released to listen to the whole thing in full?

I wanted to but given the pandemic I decided a good compromise would be one volume at a time while avoiding all individual songs. Would have felt extremely stupid if a medical emergency or something forced me out into exposure and I never got to hear it. As Jimmy Eat World almost said, “(Listen to Billy Corgan) sing now while you can.”

2 Likes

Enjoying Act 1 very much. It’s obviously an acquired taste and different to what they used to do.

I like that all it’s a bit skewed and lands between different worlds, with Billy trying to force his guitar playing and songwriting into “modern” rock/pop production, while also throwing in loads of 70s space synths and oblique lyrics to satisfy his desire to make a complex piece of art. It shouldn’t really work, and clearly doesn’t for loads of people, but somehow the old weird guy’s awkward attempt to stay relevant and tell a grand story is compelling for me.

1 Like

Supermarkets in Brazil going all out promoting the new album. Not sure reminding us of “Mayonaise” is the way to go though

7 Likes

This has been stuck in my head all week after it came up on shuffle. Mad that the best end-credits song was for a movie that blew chunks.

4 Likes

I was really expecting Adore to sound like this, back in the day! In retrospect, that was quite a turn, doing an album of (mostly) thoughtful ballads when their previous release was an uptempo song about Batman

2 Likes

the new album narrative now has a robot Corgan

2 Likes

I listened to the new album out of interest to see what all the (anti)fuss was about. I’ve not really liked them since MC, and Machina was the last album of theirs I listened to more than once (I think).

I really really like the new album. It’s nuts.

(Which led me to wonder, have I missed something? So I’ve picked an album at random for a reappraisal, went with Monuments To An Elegy, and I’m loving that too. Huh)

4 Likes

One of the best kept secrets in this world is that, while different from the original run, The Smashing Pumpkins reformation has been extremely good.

1 Like

Steps in Time is really so, so good.

1 Like