Thread of good book covers

_jewels_91_6470977_n

This artist has some interesting ideas about human anatomy.

I like how the sailor hat guy looks like he’s pondering whether his glass will fall to the floor if he rests it on the arse of stripy shirt man.

2 Likes

I’ve got hundreds of these ’50s & ’60s paperbacks; sci-fi, juvenile delinquency, sexual “deviancy” and similar subject matter. But I’ll not bore you with more of them…

1 Like

Yeah, I was just going to come in this thread to say I’m not necessarily a fan of a specific individual cover…but I do like it when a series of books is given a matching style. Probably makes me a schmuck but nm.

Serial DiS favourite Murakami is a good example:

9 Likes

2 Likes

Love those pulp novels, the covers are amazing.

I own that version!

1 Like

Here’s another one just for you then. (This one is notable for me because an American friend who’s around 50 years old told me that his mother-in-law modelled for the artists who drew the pictures for these covers and this one is based on her.)

1 Like

Cheers. This is another favourite (check out the tagline!)

The taglines on the cover (and the back cover blurb) are very often as good as the artwork.

“Bryan was too young to be in jail, exposed to the cruelty and cunning of confirmed homosexuals so soon after his shattering first experience with a woman. Fate has sentenced him to a long cruise up a forbidden river.”

1 Like

“An unconventional intimacy. A seething scandal. One man’s decision could destroy their lives. What would you decide? This is Johnny’s story - the frankly revealed life of a virile adolescent. At times you may recoil from his candour…at times you may yourself relive the gropings and the yearnings. But when young Johnny and his closest friend in the world reach the crossroads of society’s judgment you will find it difficult to make your decision.”

1 Like

Best blurb I’ve seen.

1 Like

I initially read this as the black leather librarians

2 Likes

It bums me out that most of the Murakami novels I own have the old Vintage covers, because - yeah - those designs are total beauts.

3 Likes

I’ve got the same birthday as Murakami, Jack London and Sporty Spice.

1 Like