Thundercat - 'It Is What It Is' - 03.04.2020

Oh yeah this thing lol

2 Likes

Very much enjoying this. Donā€™t think itā€™s quite as immediate as his last album but itā€™s a great mellow isolation soundtrack.

1 Like

Really digging this! Stuck it on repeat for the whole morning. Personally think itā€™s Thundercatā€™s most cohesive piece so far. Drunk may have had more standouts but at times could be quite jarring as a whole.

This isnā€™t very good. Serious dip in form.

2 Likes

Maybe I need to give it more time but Drunk was so immediate and Iā€™m struggling with this one, only really rate Dragonball Durag atm and thatā€™s partly for the video

Feels like there are no hooks on it for me. Itā€™s a short album but it feels like it rambles on and on. ā€˜Funny Thingā€™ sounds like a remake of ā€˜Friendzoneā€™. Serious lack of quality control on this one and itā€™ll be the first of his I donā€™t buy on vinyl.

Oh damn. I enjoy it but I must say a lot of it was having it in the background rather than being totally engaged. Interstellar Love is a beaut for instance. Definitely not as strong as last couple but wouldnā€™t call it a total drop off

Like ā€˜Drunkā€™ its a record I like on in the background but pales against his debut

Itā€™s been a proper mood booster here over the past week, so sad it to hear itā€™s not having the same effect for others.

Feels like TC kinda lets the songs float into one another but itā€™s still fun with plenty going on I reckon. Agree it may not necessarily have quite the standouts / hooks but doesnā€™t really feel like thereā€™s a ā€˜lack of quality controlā€™. Best tracks for me are Innerstellar Love, Black Qualls, Dragonball, Fair Chance plus the title track.

Itā€™s a pretty great headphones album too actually, just like how the bass bounces around.

1 Like