Ticket touts

ok, yeah, that’s cheeky. not impressed with that at all.

1 Like

they’re nice, aren’t they.

They’ll take a cost for refunding and a cost for the new purchase.

The mark-up of the resold ticket can be up to 44% of the face value.

All ticket touts have to cover the cost of running a ticket touting business.

Just how many waiting list tickets do they actually sell. A £6 ticket will be at a <200 venue. Let’s assume 5% returns, this is 10 tickets. So that’s £20 turnover on this process. Service charge on these and payment gateway, authorisation of the fees and administration of the waiting list will eat into all this.

Do you want them to take a loss on a service they provide?

1 Like

Buying tickets for a sold-out event and then selling them at a higher price is the very definition of ticket touting.

While I have no insight if DICE is a profitable business, other reselling platforms, for example Twickets, do operate at a lower cost base (fee is 10% to 15% of face value).

My main beef is that DICE are not open about their ticket touting business; they do not tell you what the face value of the ticket is, so you never know what mark-up they have applied.

i don’t agree with their ticket touting policy, but i do agree with their Ed Sheeran suing policy

2 Likes

oh he’s not actually involved. yeah they’re just bad then

1 Like

You’re purposely picking the lowest value gigs to make your point though.
What markup do they put on a £30 ticket

Don’t know, because I don’t go to £30 gigs.

That’s not the point though: they are reselling tickets at a premium. DICE are aggressively expanding into other countries. They clearly have a strategic plan to make this a (very) profitable business and ticket touting is part of that strategy. Over time they may well increase their margins unnoticed. Unless you do extensive research and find out what the face value of each ticket is, you don’t know you’ll get fleeced.

Remember that DICE started out as the friendly guys who didn’t charge booking fees at all!

yeah I was a momentarily conflicted by that!

Don’t use them then. :+1:t2:

I won’t.

But nothing wrong warning other people they’re being ripped off by a company that likes to portray themselves as being on the side of “the fans”.

Still cheaper than alternatives currently

Capitalism

Not true. Their booking fees have crept up considerably in recent months. For gigs under a tenner wegottickets is almost always cheaper. And even for more expensive gigs agencies like Seetickets and Ticketweb often match the fees DICE is charging.

DICE was always going to find a way to monetize their business after building up a user base. Isn’t it how a lot of tech companies are operating these days?

They have pretty much done a 180 on what they were originally about though. The no booking fees, fair to the gig-goer vibe seems to have totally gone out the door for them. Now it’s just another ticket retailer with a really good app, which I would agree still does make them better than the rest.

Still feeling a bit in the dark about their current model. Have they ever posted an explanation about the introduction of extra fees and adding a resale margin onto the waiting list tickets?

3 Likes

I’ll carry on using DICE. I’m well aware of their about turn. They were the gig go-ers friend for a while. Turns out they’re the same as all the others albeit with a very useable app.

Yep, still would prefer to have all my tickets in the DICE app, it’s extremely useable, takes about 1sec to buy a ticket, and works as a useful calendar too. I don’t mind paying them a booking fee to keep them going, I just wish they were less sneaky about it. It’s made See seem a more honest business, who have been known for charging high fees in the past, for example with the ticket I’ve just bought which was £13 for the Field - plus £1.30 which is a booking fee. On DICE it’s just listed as £14.30, no breakdown of the costs involved. It’s fair enough, it’s their app, but I always have to double check this now. I’ve seen gigs on DICE recently that are as much as a few £ higher than elsewhere. Adds up if you’re buying a few.