TiL thread (rolling)

Matt Berry played guitar and shouts ‘Hey!’ in the Strictly Come Dancing theme music

• Wow, that’s amazing, now I also TiL’d this
  • I knew this already
  • Didn’t read the post, just went straight for the poll
0 voters

This feels a bit “Bob Holness played the saxophone on Baker St” to me. Hmmm.

2 Likes

There’s a plausibility in that the Strictly theme was written and recorded by Dan McGrath who has worked with Berry on his albums and Toast, but… wouldn’t this have come up somehow in the preceding twenty years since it began?

1 Like

Just listened to the full thing and there’s an “ohhh” in there too and actually now I’m thinking it’s Matt Berry I can absolutely hear it as him.

Still don’t think it is, though.

Also TiL it’s the same Dan McGrath who was part of Chris Evans’ Radio 1 breakfast team.

Rainbolt, that guy who’s really good at geoguessr, his real name is… Trevor Rainbolt

3 Likes

That guy’s name

2 Likes

Skibidi

You telling me you don’t stick out your gyatt for the rizzla?

TIL

Thanks @badcustard

• I knew this already
0 voters

Knowing it was considered a 27th letter is deffo something I knew but had forgotten. Not sure I ever knew the etymology bit, though, so that’s a TIL.

2 Likes

Vin Diesel did a rap song with Arthur Russell

1 Like
  • I knew this already
0 voters

The much-ridiculed intense orange filter that Breaking Bad uses in scenes set in Mexico was the result of necessity: due to inflexible shooting schedules a Mexico-set sequence set in high summer had to be filmed in poor weather, and the orange filter was used to give the impression of scorching sunlight.

Prince Rupert’s Drops. Did not know about this, so TIL about them.

Molten glass dribbled into cold water forms tadpole shaped glass drops which are super resistant to attack on the big end (like, you can shoot them and they win against bullets), but if you so much as snip the thin end, the whole thing explodes! Crackers!

• This is new to me and amazing! I TILed too!
  • Tldr but I like a vote
  • Knew this!
0 voters

Knew this, but the YouTube algorithm has thrown up several videos about them in the past fortnight.

1 Like

posted this in the wrong thread, innit

Yep this is peak youtuber core

https://x.com/kepe__/status/1806287976814506035

6 Likes

MJ Lenderman is only 24. Definitely assumed he was in his mid 30s at least.