Times you have told another adult off in public

I went to a recording of a Comedy Bang Bang! podcast in London a couple of years ago, and there were two people in suits who arrived about half way through, and sat behind me. They talked loudly the whole way through. Occasionally they shouted a weird heckle and then laughed to themselves. Everyone was getting annoyed (people rows and rows ahead were turning around to glare at them), and I felt it was my duty to stand up and be counted by telling off a pair of adults in public.

With my heart pounding, I turned around and said “if you’re going to talk the whole way through, just leave!” very meekly. I was frowning though, so it was certainly a telling off. They responded by telling me to “fuck off” and then called me a “cunt” and then I turned back around, and then they said “what a mug”, but then they left shortly after, so I actually won.

Have you ever told any adults off in public?

Lighthearted posts ONLY, thank you very much (that’s me telling you all off ha ha ha!)

8 Likes

Very similar story to you actually, a Patrick Wolf acoustic gig at the Old Vic, a drunk couple were talking and shouting stuff throughout the first few songs and everyone in our section was pissed off, I eventually asked them to go outside if they wanted to talk, they turned around and were like “This is meant to be a fucking rock gig isn’t it, fucking hell, can’t you make some noise at a gig!” Thankfully I emboldened a bunch of other people to tell them to shut up and they huffed out not long after.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever told anyone off.

Suddenly my life feels a bit empty. :neutral_face:

1 Like

All bus drivers for never bothering to press the button to lower the bus for pushchair and people struggling.

Rude people

People who walk their dogs on our garden/don’t clean up after them.

Teenagers who use our garden to get stoned and leave all their shit on the benches/grass instead of taking it home or finding a bin.

1 Like

nevre told anyone off
love SSSSHHHH-ing people in cinemas though

2 Likes

Wanna tell each other off, shrewbz?

3 Likes

Oh and that woman in M&S who physically pushed me twice to get in front of me in the queue.

2 Likes

tell off people smoking where they aren’t allowed/ in places where kids might breathe stuff

1 Like

SSSSHHHH!

And I’ve worked in bars for a huge chunk of my life so basically I’ve told everyone off at some point I reckon.

8 Likes

If you’re going to come here and shush people, could you do it outside please? THANKS

8 Likes

regularly yell at fuckwit car drivers who just roll through the red lights at the crossing near my house. makes me so fucking angry

2 Likes

I reckon, of the times I’ve told people off in public, I’ve only executed the telling-off satisfactorily. Most of the time I end up mumbling something almost under my breath and walking away feeling stupid, lol.

I did tell a man to “learn some manners” a few weeks ago when he flatly refused to move out of a doorway when I was trying to get off the train. Nailed that one.

4 Likes

I’m not scared to tell people off if I think they deserve it.

The worst though was a few years ago when I had a brand new shiny car, I don’t know why but in the first few weeks about 5 people opened their car doors straight into mine in car parks, got a couple of scratches and a dent. On about the fifth time it happened I lost my cool and got out and shouted at the driver and said something like ‘how about you have some respect for other people’s property’. Then I realised it was a 70 year old couple and we were in a hospital car park and I’ve felt like a complete dick ever since.

6 Likes

Not often enough tbh, last notable time was this but I still felt proper anxious and awkward that I was calling somebody out on behalf of a female woman.

12 Likes

Oh, loads of times. A few notables:

• telling a cyclist off for not signalling and causing me to slam my brakes on at a roundabout. Got to use the “do I look like a fucking mindreader?” line from a Half Man Half Biscuit song.
  • giving someone the old “queue’s over here, pal” at the self service checkout
  • telling some students playing football on College Green to move their goal so they were kicking the ball away from people and not at them
  • telling someone (well, two people) to shut the fuck up at Dirty Three at an ATP so aggressively that they went outside. Don’t feel particularly good about that tbh.

Being a big straight white man between the ages of 18 and 49 means I can get away with stuff like this.

2 Likes

Got called a quite bad racist word the other for telling two women off for smoking clouds in front of morrisons entrance whilst a family with a double pram and 2 lil kids were going through

1 Like

Told a shitfaced couple who were having a full blown conversation during the Daydream Nation documentary to “Fuck off outside if you want to have a chat.” My GF leaned over seconds later and said the same thing to them.

They fucked off.

8 Likes

If I’d been the cashier I would’ve loved that, gender wouldn’t even come into it

1 Like

Told a massive group of loud talking wankers off at an REM gig at Old Trafford cricket ground off in about 2005 for being loud talking wankers. I spent about half an hour summoning up the courage to tell them off and then about half an hour wondering what I was going to do if they started talking again. Pretty much ruined the gig, should have just moved.

3 Likes