Times your laziness has paid off

I have just learned how to insert automatically updating paragraph numbers in Word because the alternative was manually deleting the 200 or so that were already there but broken.

Today my laziness helped me learn.

I got a Good Reply last night as a result of pissing around on MS paint when I was supposed to be working

2 Likes

Used to constantly butt heads with my old boss over this. She was a “do everything by sheer graft” person and I’m a “I’m going to spend half an hour to see if there’s a clever way to do this instead” person. She saw this as a waste of time.

1 Like

butt heads lol

4 Likes

Got a ticket for ATP Jabberwocky, proceeded not to book any trains or accomodation or anything apart from the ticket :grimacing:

Festival cancelled, full refend, not a penny lost :ok_hand:

(Granted I could have just gone if I had booked and enjoyed all the spontaneous shows that happened anyway, but that doesn’t make me look so smart)

7 Likes

Countless times at work

So many things people ask you to do at work are really not that important and get forgotten about by the people that ask you . Procrastination is a useful tool

3 Likes

Everything I’ve ever achieved.

Could I have achieved more? Possibly. Am I ever going to find out if I can? No

I’m a big fan of killing things with indifference

1 Like

my 80% time spent being lazy allows for my 20% bursts of creative brilliance at work and home or something

when i cba coming up with a reply for mc shit threads

In year 9 music class we put into groups and told to write a song (about “conflict”) that we would perform to the rest of the class the last week of term. Instead my group just dicked around every single week, mostly spending our time playing with the demo tracks and helicopter sounds on the school keyboards.

On the last week of term the drama class put on a play they’d been working on all term, and our teacher just told us to go watch that instead.

Still a bit gutted for anyone who spent like eight weeks working on some magnum opus but worked out ok for us thanks :partying_face:

1 Like

Loads and loads of things at work.

It’ll usually be a contractor or the client phoning up in a big panic because they’ve hit a problem that will definitely derail the project, and which requires a complete redesign.

Give it a day or two and a solution has usually been already built.

One of Larry Wall’s Three Virtues of a great programmer, isn’t it?

1. Laziness : The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving programs that other people will find useful and document what you wrote so you don’t have to answer so many questions about it.
  2. Impatience : The anger you feel when the computer is being lazy. This makes you write programs that don’t just react to your needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least pretend to.
  3. Hubris : The quality that makes you write (and maintain) programs that other people won’t want to say bad things about.
1 Like

Yeah, how do I do this in a google doc spreadsheet - or ‘sheet’ as they’re called ?
I have a planning document template from 2015 that I want to use in 2019 and I don’t want to change each & every calendar date manually. Can I not just click and define start date & end dates ? Or just the start date?

m8 this is the laziness thread, I’m not going to try to figure out if my Word knowledge is transferable to your non-unionised Mexican equivalent program.

oh come on, someone in here must know

You want to change all dates to current dates?

Insert an IF formula that replaces all low values with 2019. (I can figure out the formula when I get home to test it)

Oh hang on. Just find and replace 2015 with 2019?

it’s a bit more complicated than that; 3 columns (Week, Date, and Day) need to all match up and the sheet is tabbed monthly so that needs to match up too with sub totals in another column running weekly with running totals monthly & carried over on each tabbed month to month

probably just easiest to set fire to it and throw it in the bin

I can almost certainly FTFY.

Question is: will I? In the spirit of the thread probably not.

(I will)