Tiny interactions from your life that you still think about

You know, those meaningless moments that somehow got stuck in your head and still crop up years later when you’re trying to fall asleep.

When I was a kid I went to the dentist and he asked me how old I was. I said, feeling pretty bright, “I’ll be seven next month!” And he looked annoyed and said: “So how old are you now?” “…Six,” I said. To this day, I don’t know if he was just annoyed I didn’t directly answer his question, thought I was trying to trick him (“I’ll be seven next month… because I am already seven! AHAHAH”) or genuinely couldn’t work it out. Thought about this for quite a while last night.

reckon he was going for dry bants but it went over your 7 year old head

Went to shake the hand of a mate on Sunday after his race

I went for:

Charlie went for:

Just ended up holding little fingers really. Traumatised.

I once accidentally said “I like cows” just because I was thinking it during a GCSE English lesson when the teacher was mentioning the description of the cows in whatever text it was. Mortifying. Pretty sure it’s a contributing factor to why I now internalise literally every thought I ever have rather than speak them out loud.

Can we have a thread about unintentional humour?

this just made me burst out laughing.

The OP has reminded me of a bit of clownish banter from my salad days.

I used to know a clown. He once asked me how old I was. I said seven. He said “ah, seven. I was seven when I was your age.”

I did get the joke!

I try to forget all the embarrassing things that have happened to me otherwise I won’t sleep at night. This one is devastating, my face is literally hot right now just thinking about it, I had aftershocks of cringes for days after :sob: [details=Summary]About a week ago I went into a building that has very clean public toilets so if I HAVE to go and im not home and near it I’ll go there (would honestly rather wee behind a bush than go to a smelly public toilet). Also i sometimes will sit in the waiting area and charge my phone as this place is usually dead. The caretaker for the building (which is open to the public) is an old man that has seen me a few times and usually says hello. Ok so last week he asked why I’m there during working hours and I said I’m looking for a job so not at work. He said he was leaving his job too and asked if I wanted to see inside some of the rooms for hire as he was opening rooms up or whatever. I said ok out of politeness rather than curiosity and also he’s a small old man and I could take him in a fight. He shows me around the room and it has a wall of mirrors as it’s a dance studio and he starts dancing and goes “Don’t be shy do a little jig” and I don’t want to do a bloody jig but out of politeness (I hate myself) I shuffle a bit and he says “go on you’ve got the mirrors there! Don’t be shy!” and agonized, I flap my arms around a bit and wonder why the actual fuck I’m going along with this so stop. He says lets go to the next room. I follow him and we look at the other room which is just another boring hall type place and then im trying to think of a way extract myself out of the situation and he offers a cup of tea and I say I can’t have hot drinks as I had a wisdom tooth removed (even though that was like a week before and my mouth is fine) so he says have a glass of water and I can’t say no again so I miserably follow him to get the water. He pours a glass of tap water out and I down it in desperation to leave and he’s like “you’re a thirsty girl!!” and I want to die there and then. He says there’s a job going at the receptionists and I should ask and I say that’s ok because I don’t look smart at all (dressed in ratty blue jeans, a hoodie and a cap), but he’s like “no it’ll be fine just take off your hat!” but my hair is so messy and I’m thinking ok I’ll just do this and go?? And I took my hat off and my shitty hat hair was terrible so I quickly scraped it up in a bun and followed him, thinking he was going to take me to senior staff or something but he goes to the actual fucking reception where two bored girls are sitting and he’s like “this is sooogeaarrll (butchering my name) and she wants a job at the reception!” then he stomps off and I’m left there wishing I could disappear into the ground. The girls are looking at me like I’m the local drifter (which I did look like tbh) and one of them tells me kindly that there are no jobs but if there ever are i should check and apply online but the cafe usually needs temp staff or cleaners so I should ask there? I want to tell her that I’ve got a fucking microbiology degree but I scrape what’s left of my dignity together and thank her and literally leg it out of the building :sob: :sob: :sob:[/details]

What's your most-liked (non-heavy) post on the new site?

Oh my God.

Holy shit sooogeaarrll, that was a stressful read.

Edit : hope you’re ok.

I dont know why I’m telling anyone this

catharsis? I dunno you’re the one with the biology degree.

I HATE the top one and your scenario is exactly why.

we do handshakes. it’s a thing. everyone knows where we are with a handshake. stop messing it up.

This is worse than the other time I was actually mistaken for a homeless person. Almost 7 years ago exactly why is this still my life http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/social/4259624#r5401358

thread delivers.

EDIT: warning that this post has a length/interestingness ratio of 136/1

I remember once when I was about 19 we were on a night out and a Manu Chao song came on and one of my friends said to me “Joe I bet you hate Many Chao don’t you” and I was like “yeah actually I do!” and she follows up with “like I bet it really annoys you that so many people love him and you kind of think they’re idiots for liking him”…“fucking right on”.

anyway as the years have passed I’ve realised that although I do still think Manu Chao was massively overrated I can’t work up the scorn any more and I think my previous scorn was based on some kind of insecurity. I’ve thought about that moment a lot for some reason, at the time cos I felt vindicated and since because I feel glad I’m not insecure about things like that any more.

then like two weeks ago I was at a festival and watching a band with the same friend and she turned round and said “Joe I bet you hate this don’t you” and I was like “naw I wouldn’t listen to it every day but I’m enjoying myself now”. Don’t know if she remembers the original conversation or not but it was quite uncanny.

Did not mean to sound like I’m too good to be a cleaner because of my degree, nothing wrong with being one (just after years of study I hope to find something else, and I’m crap at cleaning anyway, takes me an hour to clean what takes others like 20 mins)

This, but worse. Climbers traditionally fist bump, because 1) hands covered in chalk and 2) one of you is normally missing substantial amounts of skin on palms/fingers.

Anyway, at the wall I bumped into a guy I’d met ages ago on a trip outdoors. I went in for the trad fist bump, and he went for handshake. Then we did the equivalent of the walking-towards-someone-on-the-street dance where I flipped to a handshake and him to a fist bump. Went through several quick changes before I eventually shook his closed fist.

at uni, my then housemate’s dad came by one time to drop some stuff off or something, so I gave them a hand unloading the car. I was near the front door as they were finishing up, and the dad approached with his hand out, so I shook it. he was like, “that’s great, but I was actually just reaching for the door handle”

:sob: