Tips to kill snack cravings

Any ideas?

I’m an absolute crisp monster in the evenings.

Should I eat porridge instead or something? idk

Eating snacks generally helps.

16 Likes

thing is it doesn’t, the more I eat the more I want to eat

2 Likes

Eat bigger dinners.

2 Likes

you always say that!

4 Likes

It’s always true!

1 Like

probably is tbh but I’ve got in a routine of looking forward to snacking at around midnight, can’t sleep without doing so.

Was hoping some body would come along as say something like “oh what you need to do is eat a pomegranate” or some other food I’ve never tried

I leave snacks a flight of stairs away, so I have to really want one to be arsed to bother getting it

2 Likes

that’s a good tip but it definitely wouldn’t stop me unfortunately

Exactly the same Bammers
Have my tea and about 8 I always want something else. wish snacks were healthy, or the healthy snacks weren’t shit

1 Like

rice cakes are ok but then I just want to eat about 40 of them

There’s the whole mindful eating thing - think about why you want to eat the snack, what you want to get out of it, is that more important to you than the reason you don’t want to eat the snack, etc.

It was very helpful to me to realise that most of my snacking is dopamine-seeking behaviour as a result of my neurotype, except it doesn’t actually feel rewarding, so it doesn’t achieve the thing I want but has health downsides.

The difficult thing is that sometimes the reason I want a snack is because snacks are delicious and eating delicious things is nice

14 Likes

Cocaine

12 Likes

I think the main reason for me is something to look forward to and to make the day worth getting through. Feels very empty and unrewarding to live without snacks

3 Likes

2 Likes

I get that. My snacking strategy is that I can have one morning snack, as much fruit as I want as afternoon snacks, and one evening snack. But they’re small - four squares of Ritter sport as one snack.

Plus the one tub of vegan Ben and Jerry’s a week to be rationed out as needed (in practice: two portions)

2 Likes

My strategy at my desk is

• start with a big glass of water. Like half a pint to a pint. Drinking that can work esp as it will fill you belly

• sugar free gum

• sugar free mints, the stronger the better

I do worry about the effect on me of all the stuff they put in sugar free mints and/or my body thinking I’m getting sugar but not, but fuck it, eh?

3 Likes

Exercising helps I think

3 Likes

Used to have a piece of fruit first no matter what my craving. If I still wanted a snackie after the fruit, I would have it. Often the fruit was enough, maybe especially knowing that other snacks weren’t off limits.

Now I simply chomp on any delicious snackie I like because life’s short eh

4 Likes

Seconding gum. Has some of the process of eating an actual snack and makes yr mouth all minty which discourages further snacking until it wears off.

2 Likes