Tips to kill snack cravings

And the classic cup of tea of you can’t face water is good

Stop buying crisps.

1 Like

The only way i can stop snack cravings is to drink a glass of water when i get them.
It starts off hard but by the end of the week you won’t be getting them.
Also, porridge for breakfast and avoid refined sugar throughout the day.

2 Likes

wish I had that self control

2 Likes

Getting a bit close to diet chat/‘good’ & ‘bad’ foods itt so I’m gonna bow out before I spoil things with some moaning but can we just be mindful of people who may have issues or triggers around this kinda thing.

See you round the clubs.

6 Likes

Break em off, put them on a plate, WALK AWAY FROM THE SOURCE

Massively this

1 Like

Snacking perpetuates my anxiety in certain situations rather than easing it though

Sorry this reads like I’m disagreeing with your post and I’m not at all

I will mix butter and sugar and salt for a snack, walking away is beyond me

1 Like

CW: weight loss

spot the point that I had this realisation

4 Likes

I’ve started eating carrot sticks as a snack. Not in the same league as crisps, obviously, but I’ve got used to it and it’s helped and I prefer it to not eating anything.

I think some of my cravings are to do with boredom and a need to do something with my hands, so it satisfies those criteria.

3 Likes

At the risk of stating the obvious, it makes life a lot easier if you don’t have so many crisps etc in the house. Salty popcorn is a good alt imo, + lots of dried fruit

1 Like

are you eating enough fibre?

fibre absorbs water and expands after you eat it

which means if you eat lots of fibre, it’s takes longer to get hungry afterwards

it’s why brown bread is better than white bread

nuts are a good snack that have lots of fibre in

2 Likes

rolling coffees, decaf if needs be

2 Likes

Dunno if it does anything for cravings but you could take up chewing on a toothpick to look like a badass

2 Likes

Water. Not allowing crisps in the house. Cut down booze.

Beer makes me want

2 Likes

There can be a difficult balance between cutting back on snacking by a sensible amount, and restricting yourself too much. It’s reasonable to want to eat crisps less often but if you’re trying to avoid any and all snacking that may be an unhealthy impulse.

Try to work out if you’re actually hungry. If you are hungry, you should eat. If you’re often hungry outside mealtimes then it might be worth working out how much protein and fibre is in your meals for a day and whether it’s less than the recommended amount. Or eat your dinner later in the evenings.

Sometimes I tell myself that I can have a snack if I still want one in half an hour. If I’m not actually hungry the desire to snack might have passed by then.

And I try to remember that if I’m not hungry, I’ll feel worse after snacking instead of better (due to eating too much or eating carb heavy foods that will make my blood sugar crash later)

If I’m not hungry but craving something sweet then sometimes a hot drink with a little sugar in it helps.

If I’m not hungry but choose to snack anyway, I find it easier to stop at a sensible point if the snack requires some sort of assembly or effort that isn’t just reaching into a packet.

I also fall into the trap of getting into an unnecessary snack routine if I’m not careful, but the good news is that if you can get into one routine you can get into a different one. So maybe your routine could be that you have a hot drink at that time instead, or that you go to bed at 11pm for a few days to get out of the habit.

This was helpful to me too when you posted about this the other week

3 Likes

It’s posts like these that make froglet the world’s most reasonable diser

5 Likes

It’s not the answer you’re looking for but I used to think my snack cravings were insurmountable - since I started eating four meals a day it’s not really an issue, I can eat half a bar with a cup of tea and I can actually put the other half away which was once unthinkable

I just get multipacks of crisps cause they’re smaller and do the job.