Toby Driver + Kayo Dot (Rolling)

Thought I would make a thread for one of my favourite artists/songwriters/composers so that I could basically post endless updates into the void. His 20 year career spans multiple bands/monikers/genres - 90s euro metal, post-rock, avant-goth and more recently chamber pop. Barely any two of his 30+ records sound the same but all sound like him.

His latest solo record They Are The Shield was released in 2018 and is probably his most accessible and successful to date. Floaty, chamber pop talk-talk vibes.

In 2019, he’s started a subscription model type thing via bandcamp for super fans who want extras, outtakes, bonus content etc.

Kayo Dot LP9 has been finished since mid-2018 and is awaiting release on prophecy records:

Here are an assortment of favourite tunes:

Prog metal

Off-kilter murakami-esque post-rock ballad

Retrofuturistic goth fusion

Avant metal

Goth ballad

A song about his cat (that has a face like a squirrel)

Hopefully, you might find something to enjoy in his work.

Vaura have a new record coming in 2019 too

They Are The Shield was one of my favourite records from last year and wasn’t sure where to go from there, so really grateful for this!

1 Like

Madonnawhore would be the obvious place to go from there, or maybe Blue Lambency Downward if you think you’d be into woodwind skronkiness.

Surprised I didn’t know Madonnawhore already, being released by The Flenser and all. Woodwind skronkiness is also good by me.

1 Like

New record ‘Blasphemy’ out in early September on prophecy yeeessssss

1 Like

Awesome!

The woodwind skronkiness of Blue Lambency was also much appreciated, as expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love maudlin of the Well

1 Like

Weirdly I got into them last and i still struggle with them a bit next to KD.

I have yet to find anything by Kayo Dot I enjoyed anywhere near as much as motW.

I find there’s something missing without the Metal and extreme dynamics, plus I often find Kayo Dot’s music to meander too much.

I think the last record I checked out from KD, while had some moments, Toby was constantly swallowing right up close into the microphone and it hurt my enjoyment.

1 Like