Today in history

Today in 1955 the 15 year old Claudette Colvin refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white woman. But because she was a more fun loving individual someone else became the famous civil rights agitator in history. Seeing this come up today, I thought it’d be interesting for us to think about stuff that happened in the past.

5 Likes

Seventeen sweet years since the US invaded Afghanistan.

2 Likes

Last day of the miner’s strike.

2 Likes

Today in 1966 John Lennon told the Evening Standard that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. When this story was republished in the USA in a teen magazine the following July it led to mass burning of Beatles records and other protests

John Candy died 25 years ago today

Love that bloody man, nice clip below

1 Like

Today in 1933 there were elections in Germany. The Nazis gained 44% of the votes. They were forced to form a coalition with another right wing party but later, within months, banned all other parties. We all know what happened after that…

Happy Birthday to these fellas!

gallery

1 Like

This time 3 years ago I came across this scam

3 Likes

In 1836 the Alamo was overrun by Mexican troops after a 12-day siege.

1 Like

And one year ago, I remarked on Tesco’s excellent cross-selling techniques

1 Like

History. Not posts on DIS.

On 9 March 1916, General Villa ordered nearly 100 Mexican members of his revolutionary group to make a cross-border attack against Columbus, New Mexico

wait fudges aren’t 10p anymore?

2 Likes

Five years since Bob Crow died.

https://webfoundation.org/2019/02/save-the-date-world-wide-web-turns-30-on-march-12/

oh wait I missed it.