Top 3 live songs 🎵

Not 100% sure but something like this

Low - John Prine (Union Chapel, 2003)

As I’ve said many times on here, my favourite gig ever and the gig that caused me to fall in love with Low. This isn’t my favourite song of theirs on record but it had this beautiful intensity live. I remember Alan using the acoustics of the chapel to sing the “la la la” bits in the coda, with the audience absolutely silent.

Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar (Newport Tredegar House, 2000)

I couldn’t think of a specific song for when we saw them at Alexandra Palace so I’ve gone with what I think would have been their first song on the first time I saw them.

Pulp - Common People (Reading, 2002)

One of my favourite songs of all time, just remember going nuts dancing to it with Mrs CCB and everything being amazing

2 Likes

Was this the post Iraq war demo gig? I was at that. Bloody brilliant. Freezing, but brilliant.

1 Like

That’s the one! So cold but so good

1 Like

So so many!

‘It’s the End of the World as we Know it’ - REM, Brixton Academy, 2003.

When the band stopped playing and 5000 audience members shouted out ‘Leonard Bernstein’ was spine tingling, as was the whole show.

‘Untitled #4 Njósnavélin’ - Sigur Ros, Somerset House, 2005.

Show was only a few days after the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London and, obviously, emotions were incredibly heightened and when they played ‘Njósnavélin’, which I would argue is their most beautiful and fragile song, it was like an emotional wave just broke across the audience. So many people, including myself, just broke down crying. Such an emotional release, everything having built up over the previous days. Was something else.

‘Only Skin’ - Joanna Newsom, Bill Callahan & London Symphony Orchestra, Barbican, 2007.

Arguably one of the most culturally significant shows I’ve ever been to - the zeitgeist artist on the crest of a wave - where she played the newly released Ys and ‘Only Skin’, especially, was just incredible. No words can sum up that night.

4 Likes

Three that come to mind…

Radiohead - Planet Telex Hammersmith Apollo 2006 - the sound just encompassed everything, absolutely incredible

Battles - Atlas ATP 2008 - So much energy on stage and in the crowd. I remember being at the stage underneath (Reds) the 2nd night Battles played and the ceiling was bowing as the crowd were jumping above us.

Tim Hecker & the Konoyo Ensemble - This Life Primavera 2019 Auditori - Juts never really heard anything like this live before, just incredible noise

3 Likes

going with ones available online.

lampchop- my blue wave, royal festival hall, 2000. cheating, as although i remember loving the whole gig, can’t specifically remember song, it hadn’t been released at that point, but sounds so good now.
at 20 minutes, 55 seconds in…
Lambchop Live Royal Festival Hall 2000 - YouTube

bjork- unravel, fuji rock festival, 2003. had been waiting at the front, then this was the opener :star_struck:
1 Bjork - Unravel (Live at Fuji Rock) - YouTube

daft punk- aerodynamic, bercy, 2007. again, cheating as can’t specifically remember the song, but remember enjoying the gig, video gives an idea of the fun atmosphere.
at 44 minutes 27 seconds in…
Daft Punk - Alive 2007 - Paris - Fan DVD upscaled to 4K by AI - YouTube