Top 5 songs of the year

Obviously there’s so many options here it’s almost impossible to do this thoroughly - it’s often hard to even decide what are the best 5 songs on any given album (hey to my Fucked Up pals).

Still though, could be fun. Chuck out a list of 5 songs that are among your favs of the year, or that were your favourite at some point, and let’s see what we get.

I’ll try not to overthink this and just go with my gut:

Deafheaven - Honeycomb - Pretty much everything you can want in a song. I love songs that feel like being on a roller coaster.

Fucked Up - The One I Want Will Come for Me - I wasn’t expecting this at all. Kind of in the same vein as Smokescreen by Amusement Parks on Fire, Blister by Jimmy Eat World, and even Close to Home by The Getup Kids.

Spielbergs - Ghost Boy - Kind of like if you crossed Dinner Bells by Wolf Parade with TWIABP at their best.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Silvery Sometimes - He’s still got it.

Mastersystem - Old Team - Bursting with emotion. His melodies are so sad and amazing on this album.

1 Like

Young Fathers - In My View
Spiritualized - Perfect Miracle
Let’s Eat Grandma - Falling Into You and Donnie Darko
Those 4 are in no particular order and then Danny Nedelko is at #1

2 Likes

Ought - Desire
Just straight up the most beautiful thing I’ve heard this year

The 1975 - Love It If We Made It
The biggest pop banger in years as far as I’m concerned. The intensity in his voice, especially for the “bitch” line, gets me every time

Nap Eyes - Follow Me Down
I find myself singing this to myself more than anything else. Also makes me want to seek out some 20 minute Indian ragas …

Hop Along - Prior Things
Those strings are irresistible. Has become my go-to song for when a plane takes flight as it just makes me feel weightless

Soccer Mommy - Wildflowers
Bedroom indie fused with Tom Petty at his best and darkest. If there’s a more perfectly bittersweet image this year than “I want to dance in my field of blue a child running for nothing” then I haven’t heard it

2 Likes

Also since that’s a pretty mellow collection, my favourite heavier song this year has to be a tie between Young Jesus - Deterritory and Typhoon - Rorshach

2 Likes

not sure about number 5 so i’ll throw this in

1 Like

this was randomly in my head for ages doing my christmas shopping the other night, not sure why

2 Likes

This at number 1

Then a selection in no order

2 Likes
2 Likes

IDLES - Danny Nedelko (I’ll do vids like people upthread but theres no way anyone on here hasn’t heard this already)

Hop Along - Somewhere a Judge

Protomartyr + Kelley Deal - Wheel of Fortune

Self Defense Family - Have You Considered Punk Music?

Jeff Rosenstock - USA
5 Likes

Tracey Thorn - Dancefloor (Ewan Pearson 12" Mastermix)
Good, old-fashioned, euphoric pop music.

Rex The Dog - Crasher
Best Kompakt release of 2018.

The Twilight Sad - I/m Not Here (missing face)
New album can’t arrive quick enough.

Editors - Cold (UNKLE Remix)
Favourite remix of the year.

Moby - Mere Anarchy
Haunting.

3 Likes

That Dirty Projectors track is :ok_hand:

5 Likes

I think I listened to Danny Nedelko more than any other song this year - I’d find myself going back to it everytime I felt a little down about the news, which was a lot. The others are in no particular order, but all share a slightly unhinged clattering vitality, which I’m a sucker for:

3 Likes

In no order, and without overthinking this too much, my list would look something like:

Let’s Eat Grandma - Hot Pink
Jeff Rosenstock - USA
Car Seat Headrest - Bodys
Yo La Tengo - For You Too
Field Music - Find a way to keep me

3 Likes

Top two are nailed on, the rest picked from probably 10-15 fairly equal contenders:

1 Like

I have played this track so much this year. I was going to bed and putting this on after bad days to pick me up, I have cried in happiness many times when the track finally goes at 1:35 with the strings and the guitar and her voice…so much emotion just echos through me, I find it overwhelming.

Such a pure, good indie rock song. Makes me happy and I love singing it.

I think there are better songs for displaying her talent, but that melodic hook gets in my head all the time. “I have to focus on the Part of ME”

Just amazing, lyrically grand, the building and release at end is just incredible.

Such a great short story inside another amazing album (I returned to this album after seeing them last week and remembered how good this album is).
6 Likes

CSH - Beach Life In Death

Kali Uchis - In My Dreams

Pusha T - If You Know You Know

Also echo IDLES - Danny Nedelko

4 Likes

Did a Spotify playlist of the songs up to now as I am going to be travelling this weekend, sharing if anyone wants it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was planning to listen to them all myself anyway so this is great thanks!

1 Like