Top 5 TV Comedies

I’m gonna allow Honorable Mentions, cos I really wanted to include The Carbonaro Effect, the hidden camera magic TV show on my list. Oh, how I larf! Likewise, Monty Python, King of Queens, Alan Partridge, Fawlty Towers, Curb, Fraiser, It’s Always Sunny, and shows like 30 Rock, and Parks & Rec, which were funny, but I didn’t watch much. Don’t be afraid to list Friends…it really was funny. The Mindy Project. Funny. Didn’t make my list.

Gotta man up and give us you Top 5. Plus a vignette. Tell us something we don’t know.

1. Modern Family
  2. Cheers
  3. Arrested Development
  4. Seinfeld
  5. The Bob Newhart Show

When I was in college, we’d go to the on-campus bar and play the “Hi Bob” drinking game. Gulp a beer after every “hi Bob” and be half in the bag after its 22 minutes.

Top 5, plus a vignette. Go.

Do cartoons count? I don’t watch too much TV but:
The Simpsons
South Park
Fresh Prince
Friends
Arrested Development

I used to watch stuff like the channel 4 comedies and bottom a lot when I was at uni but in the last few years this is what I mostly watch

Modern Family - I avoided for years as the setup looked cliched, but I really like it.
Brooklyn 99 - Almost stereotypical comedy setup like the above, but hilarious.
Simpsons/Futurama - I am cheating here
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/30 Rock - Cheating again, but I am a huge Tina Fey fan
Community

I’ve kept mine to modernish ones to make the list shorter. Plus some things I loved at the time, I am sure won’t have dated well. But honorable mentions to Blackadder, Faulty Towers. Some of these episodes are committed to my memory, but no less funny for that.

I have been mentioned 3 times on Radio 1. (Nothing like news reports about being arrested, much more innocuous than that).

Simpsons (up to 1998 ish)
Curb your enthusiasm
The thick of it
It’s always sunny
King of the hill

The simpsons
Peep Show
Father Ted
Alan Partridge
Arrested development

Honourable mentions to bojack horseman, bobs burgers and master of none.

Parks & Recreation
Arrested Development
Modern Family
Veep
Fr Ted

Hon mentions:
It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Office (UK)
The Trip
Bojack Horseman

gonna go uk, because not so up on us ones, love Malcolm in the middle though. going ones with at least 3 series…

blackadder
alan partridge
ideal
the thick of it
getting on

hon mention to league of gentlemen. would like foreign language comedy series on our screens. only one that wasn’t more ‘drama’ than comedy that I can think of is the Icelandic petrol station one and was pretty good. replace say 95% of the foreign police investigating murders for comedy I say.

Simpsons
Alan Partridge
The Office (UK only!)
Seinfeld
Curb

Party down
Curb
Parks and rec
Community
Flight of the conchords

Curb
Seinfeld
Arrested development
Father ted
The thick of it

This is a very good list.

The Office
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Friends
The Simpsons

cheers

probs replace The Simpsons with I’m Alan Partridge

maybe 15 Stories High actually

what’s the funniest thing on the simpsons? Sure it’s “pleasant” to watch but I don’t think it’s ever been funny.

Peep Show
The Simpsons
Community (first 3 seasons)
US Office
something I will think of later

Just watch from series 3 to 9

1. Seinfeld and Curb as one combined entity
  2. Fawlty Towers
  3. The Office UK
  4. The Simpsons
  5. Arrested Development

DISCLAIMER: Louie is the best thing on tv in any genre so putting it on top of this list is a given but is too reductive to it.

Yeah. The Simpsons thread reminded me, there have been some great moments in years gone by. Just not so much these days.

chances are I already have