Top five cities/places you've been to

My friend got back from Helsinki last week. He has all kinds of allergies but his lactose intolerance is the worst of the lot to deal with. He only found out that pretty much everything in Helsinki is made lacto-free on his last day there and ate three pizzas and half a wedding cake to make the most of it.

8 Likes

I went to Helsinki for a day once. I went to the Olympic stadium and associated museum, took a boat to a cool island which I walked round, saw a naked lady, got drunk, got sunburnt and had a BLOODY BRILLIANT time.

I’ve not really travelled much. What good French or German cities are there?

French - none.

German - an alphabetical top ten…

Berlin
Bonn
Bremen
Dresden
Hamburg
Karlsruhe
Leipzig
Munich
Potsdam
Stuttgart

Cheers for all the tips

Much appreciated, ta

Barcelona
Xi’an
Angkor
Tokyo
Isle of Skye

Honourable Mentions: Busan, Brno, Kyoto, Seoul, Copenhagen

1 Like

I like Münster, it has a nice boating lake. Applied for a job there earlier this year but didn’t get it. :frowning:

Berlin - well I’ve moved here so let’s see
New York - although it’s been a while so I’d like to go back
Glasgow - I love glasgow, my adopted home
The Highlands
Norway

Based my list off places that havent had much of a shout yet:

Helsinki
Tallinn
Zanzibar!!!
Sicily
Tilburg - little gem of Holland, way less popular than Amsterdam and co

Honourable mention:
Kiruna (Swedish city that is sinking into the ground because theyve mined it so extensively. Went one December and the combination of this (v cold + v few hour daylight), a visit to the mines, and the thick snow made me feel like i was in an apocalyptic Christmas RPG)

Sicily
Seoul
Edinburgh
Salento
Tokyo

Shout out to Bergamo, my favourite Northern city in Italy.

Paris
Barcelona
New York
Utrecht
Hong Kong
Singapore

Kyiv, Lviv, New York, Barcelona, Berlin

Newcastle my favourite in UK

I’m going to Newcastle for a couple of days next month. Got any hot tips?

You much of a pub person / drinker? This would be a lot of my recommendations tbh

1 Like

Just a bit.

Main recommendation would be an afternoon or evening drinking around Ouseburn, especially if the weather’s good. The Free Trade Inn is the best pub in the world, Cumberland Arms not far behind. The Cluny, Tyne Bar, Arch2 (new Microbrewery) also worth visiting.

Can visit the urban farm and the Biscuit Factory (arts space thing) if you’re that way inclined.

If you want a night out, worth checking what’s on at World Headquarters or Ernest.

Good food options around there, too. Tower Café Pizza cheap and decent. The Bake (Lebanese) really good. Both of those BYOB. I’ve not been to Cook House, but it’s a small reservation-only place in a shipping container people rave about. Kiln also sounds good.

Otherwise -
-Chilli Padi in city centre, or Cal’s Own (Jesmond) for food.
-Laing art gallery, Baltic, Side Gallery.
-General quayside walk (past millenium bridge down to free trade)
-Quayside market on sunday morning
-The Bridge Tavern and Crown Posada down that Tyne Bridge end of Quayside
-Metro out to the coast if weather’s nice. Tynemouth especially
-Staiths and Staiths café on the Gateshead side

lots more beer and pub recommendations but that’s probably enough if youre only here a couple of days!

1 Like

Thats plenty to be going on with. Cheers buddy!

Kyoto’s lovely. I only went for a day but it was beautiful place.

Lisbon
Danakil Depression, Ethiopia
Rio de Janeiro
Chapada Diamantina National Park, Brazil
Lake Como