Top Ten Metal Bands Of All Time

metalcore*

what’s the first five letters of metalcore eric?

1 Like

interested to see why you thought they were the funniest?

seen them twice me and technically they were great first time. however,first time was a really intense show - George basically just standing, hovering his mike over the crowd in Soup Kitchen and just staring out. was great

saw them last year at Gorilla and thought while they still sounded great, his dance moves were just so so offputting, it soured it for me. was a bit like La Dispute in that respect

Andrew WK (times 10)

1 Like

I (like to) think some of their shtick is tongue-in-cheek.
The dance moves definitely contributed to how funny I found their show at KOKO on that same tour, even while they were extremely tight. The only thing that made the night a bit of a downer was KOKO being fucking rubbish and the sound being tinny as hell and weirdly quiet.
Their Hallowe’en show in Brighton in 2012/2013 was very intense and technically excellent, but still funny (George very delicately putting on his leather gloves, for e.g.).

I put Converge, up there somewhere. ^

1 Like

yeah March To The Sea is pretty much the reason Pelican are on my list, although all of that album, The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw is as good, as is Australasia.

I’d highly recommend the latest Russian Circles and Cult Of Luna albums too…

3 Likes

I ended up listening to some of this last night after seeing this post and I quite liked it vocals aside!

Progress!

1 Like

I kind of know what you mean, but at the risk of revealing my age, when they were an active band it was the metal kids I knew who were digging them, not the ‘alternative’ ones.

1 Like

Oh i was joking. Sorry!

the guitars were quite nice!

Agree Australasia and The Fire in our throats… are good. i also like What we all come to need. Has shorter songs that are less atmospheric and more rocking. Saw them on tour after this album at Brudenell and was excellent live.

Basically just a post rock band with blastbeats though

Stab Water
Fountains of Mountains of Blood and Bone and Sick
Horse Bastard
Traitor Cauldron Blood Quest
Keith From Finance
Hating In Spain
1,000,0000 Goblins
The Sneeze
Haunted Arsehole Overkill
Unreadable Black Metal Band Name

19 Likes

I don’t really listen to either of those things so that’s fine with me.

Was pretty much introduced to metal in my first year at university. I liked Slayer and Napalm Death already, but was a bit snotty about metal generally cos I was mainly into hardcore and hip hop. Soon found out that this was a fairly stupid attitude and have incredibly fond memories of skipping lectures, getting high, playing cards and listening to death metal for days at a time. Still love these bands and listen to them regularly. Know next to nothing about any other metal at all.

1. Slayer. It’s Slayer, mate.

2. Entombed. First album is so monumentally great (and influential) they can pretty much be forgiven for changing up their style by their third album. Not into the ‘death and roll’ stuff at all really, but Left Hand Path would be the only challenger to Reign In Blood as my favorite metal album. The fact that they made it when they were barely into their teens is bananas.

3. Parabellum. Hopefully some indie points for this one. Colombian black metal band, formed in 1983, that were making insane music while living in Medellin during the time of Pablo Escobar. Only released two 12"s, but they are two of the best things ever. Members went on to form Restos De Tragedia and Blasfemia, both of whom were brilliant.

4. Napalm Death. Early stuff is legendary, obvs, but I really like some of their death metal releases as well, even if the band members think they are crap.

5. Terrorizer. First album is the best grindcore record ever made. Two crust punk singer/guitarists teamed up with Morbid Angel’s rhythm section to knock it out over the course of a weekend, and it’s never been bettered in nearly 30 years of attempts.

6. Carcass. First album helped to usher in grindcore. Fourth album pretty much invented melodic death metal. In between they recorded Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious, probably the best death metal album ever. Total dudes to a man, too, apparently.

7. Nuclear Death. Lots of death metal sounds ‘extreme’, but these guys sound genuinely unhinged. Mostly due to amazing singer (and bassist) Lori Bravo. Haven’t heard the later stuff but first three albums are mind blowing.

8. Assück. Another amazing grindcore band. Rooted in 80s political hardcore but with the attack and precision of the best death metal. Entire discography is flawless. Along with Discordance Axis and Brutal Truth, the best of the second wave 90s bands.

9. Blasphemy. God-tier first generation black metal from Canada. Absolute lunatics too by all accounts, to the extent that the are not allowed into most countries to tour. Internet is full of stories of their antics (my favourite one is when one of the band (they never disclosed which one) threw racist douchebag Keith ‘KK’ Warslut of Destroyer 666 through a storefront window for asking them why there was “a fucking n***er” in their band), but it’s the music that their reputation is really based on, and it’s amazing.

10. Cadaver. Only ever checked the first album from these Norwegian teens, but it’s an absolute killer. Although it’s all pure old school death metal, the murky, saturated production makes it sound almost psychedelic at times. I cannot explain how good this album sounds when when you’re high as fuck.

Also love from this period: Sinister (Holland); Acrostichon; Dismember; Carnage; Bolt Thrower; Molested (Norway); Beherit; Conqueror (Canada); Abhorer (Singapore); Necrophile (Japan) and early Sepultura and Sarcafago.

Not sure Earth, Melvins, Harvey Milk and (early) Boris count as Metal bands, but if they do, then them too. Really like Sleep, Burning Witch, Electric Wizard and some other psychedelic doom bands as well. Never really class these as ‘metal’ though for some reason.

3 Likes

Impossible to rank but these all make the grade

Yob
Neurosis
Deftones
Sleep
Helmet
Isis
Rwake
Voivod
Slayer
Melvins

1 Like

Definitely listening to Blasphemy based on this

Metallica
Deftones
Sepultura
Pantera
System of A Down
Slayer
Mastodon
Scissorfight
Killswitch Engage
Fear Factory (really only for Demanufacture)

Long live Headbangers Ball :slight_smile:

One thing that I remember from seeing Jane’s in Brum in 89 was how diverse the crowd was (this was back in the days before everyone dressed the same). Punks, metallers, goths n that.

1 Like