Tortoise chat! (not the band) potentially rolling, but more likely to be slowly plodding

name me 3 good things a tortoise has ever done…

Herons are incredible beasts, with their backwards knees, their gait and eyes that never seem to blink. They’re kind of scrawny and smallish looking when their standing about, but when they fly their wings make them look massive I think. I was up looking at them in regent’s park yesterday during lunch.

2 Likes

Well one carries the world on it’s back (it says tortoise in brackets)

1 Like

Wars started by tortoises: 0
Transformers films directed by tortoises: 0
Donald Trump Tortoises: 0

1 Like

turtles all the way down!

1 Like

much more plausible than the simulation theory

1 Like

People were dumb as shit back then weren’t they?

Wonder what we’ll all end up being laughed at for believing. ~cough~ We are all definitely living in the Matrix - #9 by anon67149139

1 Like

Esio Trot. Teg Reggib

2 Likes

Kris says:

"Mine usually go down in mid-October as the days shorten and the temperature drops

They become slow down and usually find somewhere sheltered and out of the elements, usually digging themselves in the ground. Once she has started to dig a winter home I bring to her winter box, kept in the garage or very cool room and let her clear her system and bath her and then let her sleep until about March."

that’s so useful: thanks to you and to Kris.

1 Like

Great at beating hares in races through sheer persistence though

1 Like

Yep. Very dinosaur-like.

I’m a fan of the heron.

Tickle her underside with a toothbrush.

(Not advice from @anon29812515 but something MsWza’s work colleague does with her tortoise. Loves it, apparently.)

We had two tortoises when I was growing up. Toddy and Speedy (Speedy was technically mine). We went on holiday and left someone to look after them, when we came back one of them was upside down and maggot riddled! Can’t remember what happened to the other one.

I was pretty young so wasn’t too involved with welfare.

this is making me laugh. I know it shouldn’t

did your folks kick off?

I don’t really know, it is a mysterious time in my life. Think it was Toddy that snuffed it. Speedy must have gone to live with some other tortoises. (tortus by the way).

love herons. can’t go 5 minutes in the nether lands without seeing one. also storks.
here’s a heron anecdote you may have missed I'm shit at interviews - #52 by shrewbie

1 Like

Update for all tortoise fans : Lucy has been up and rampaging around the garden for a few weeks now. She’s really perked up as the weather has got warm and is now happily laying waste to our dandelion population.

2 Likes

My dad has a load of pebbles his Tortoise walks over to help it poo or something.

She’s taken to using the bit of concrete by the back gate as her personal lavatory, but she doesn’t seem to go much. Slow metabolism, I suppose