Total monthly outgoings (essentials) #ssp

Not a lot I can do about water I suppose, I can’t shop around!

Two people just inside M25 around £2700 per month. Plus I pay child maintenance.

Gas + electricity has just gone from around £100 to £175 just like that.

1 Like

Ok, I’m less depressed about this thread now. I also want to preface what I am about to share with acknowledging my privilege: I earn a good salary and have chosen to live alone is one of the most expensive places in the UK. I am also able to support my son financially whilst he is at uni.

That said, my rent is eyewatering at £1050 for a one bedroom garden flat.
Council tax is about £115 after the single person discount
Rent and living money for my son: £425
Petrol: about £250 a month but that will reduce massively now I’ve mostly finished teaching until September.
Car tax, breakdown cover, insurance: about £70

They’re the big things then it is utilities, mobile phones (mine and my son’s), food, TV subscriptions, music subscriptions, bike hire for my son, some costs for the house in France etc.

It all totals about £2500 per month I think.

For the first time in many years I have mostly depleted my savings. It’s a pretty scary place to be as I like to have a bit of a buffer. Moving country, fixing my car, rent deposit ate a lot of that. My son finishes uni this year so that will help when he’s financially independent.

(Edit: I also pay about £400 a month into my pension but that comes out of my wages so it isn’t money I really see. My employer pays 3 or 4 times that amount each month so I am banking on being able to retire as early as possible)

1 Like

Three people - two adults and a kid, plus one cat. Around £3,750 a month all in. The big cost other than our mortgage is childcare - full time nursery in London is costing over £1,500 a month. Cannot wait for this kid to get less expensive.

I am mostly OK with keeping on top of expenses but generally bad at saving and very lazy about finding deals, so my husband deals with all the bills and I transfer my share to the joint account every month. I couldn’t tell you the individual expenses.

1 Like

This savings chat has made the thread very uncomfortable for me whereas I was finding it quite useful until that point. Wonder if a separate thread would be good for accruing money rather than what we’re doling out as I’m sure I’m not the only one banking on death as a retirement plan :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

(I mean, I can just stay out of here now but just something to consider)

7 Likes

IDK, but I spend pretty much all of what I earn. I’m fine whilst I have a job, but starting to worry how I’ll cope when I retire because what my pension provider tells me I’m likely to get doesn’t seem like it will cover the essentials. Feel like I’m part of a generation that is mostly without final salary pensions and with big mortgage or rent payments and terrible annuity rates.

1 Like

Approx.
Mortgage: £500
Council Tax: £100
Home/various insurance: £100
Factors: £50
Power: £75
Phone: £25
Food:£200 (guess i maybe spend more than this and could probably do it for less easily but seems a good average)

1 person - £1050

nah i agree, this thread was made really with the purpose of what it initially was - comparing outgoings and in the cases of some people then correcting anomalies/things that felt too high, and just really seeing how your own outgoings fitted into the grand scheme of things.

@moderators is there a way that the savings poll, and savings chat, can be moved to a new thread?

1 Like

agreed - totally shifts the dynamic of the thread (no criticism meant towards anyone!)

3 Likes

I’ll do this for myself only but call out where I’m splitting it.

Rent: 487.50 (975 total)
Energy - 50/60 (100/120 in total)
Phone - 18
Internet - 15 (30 in total)
Food - 120 (240 in total)
Council Tax - 78 (156 in total)
Water (pay quarterly but broken down to monthly) - 12 (24 in total)

Then have Subscriptions:
Apple - 10
Disney - 6
and TV License - 159 quid one off.

So for ‘true’ essentials it will be about 750-800 quid a month

Yeah sure, I’ll move the ones relating to avo’s post unless there are any earlier?

1 Like

Those are the only ones. You’re a gem froglet thank you!

1 Like

Ok I’ve done it I think!

2 Likes

Hero! :smiley:

Mortgage £1000
Council tax £130
Energy £130
Water £43
Phone £16
Netflix etc £24
Internet £32
Food £350
= £1725 for 2 adults and 1 baby

Car insurance, buildings / contents insurance and TV license is paid for annually, not sure how much any of them actually are :expressionless:

1 Like

Here it is for reference

If I’ve missed anything just let me know

Did a proper calculation earlier and my outgoings without food are actually £400 more than my income, not £200 :sob:

Really annoys me that single person council tax isnt half the full amount, and that i can’t get a water meter fitted at the flat as i use so little water thay i know I’d save tons there.

1 Like

2 (me and my girlfriend)
$6,665 USD / £5,346 per month

I keep a spreadsheet for the things we split (mortgage, utility bills), but not for other things like groceries, streaming services, phones, etc. that we basically pay separately and try to even out. So it’s eye-opening adding up some of this including streaming services, as I hadn’t kept track, plus a few other automatic payments I don’t have top of mind.

Mortgage (incl. insurance & property taxes) $4,333.86
Energy & utilities $275
Groceries $800
Auto insurance (2 cars) $195
Internet $80
Phones $150
Streaming Services (music & video) $80
Pet care (cat & dog) $300
Car payment: $450

Edit: Forgot one car payment (other one is paid off), so I’ve added that.

1 Like

Preach. I’ve got half sized recycling and general waste bins. Fortnightly collection but mine go out once a month at most, still not even full. I know bin collection isn’t all council tax boils down to, but £135 a month for CT and water seems excessive for the amount I’m using.

Sorry about this

1 Like